Tilted Engine

PostPost by: Over Steer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi all; this is a follow-up to my previous post, "Engine Mounting".

After inserting 20mm spacers under the gearbox mounting (as this of the newer type) alignment of the chassis engine mounts improved enough to be within tolerance.

However now the left side of the engine is higher than the right side.
This is making the airbox foul the engine bay (this is the deeper type airbox).

The mountings are original ones from a Europa Special.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Attachments
AirboxElan+2.jpg and
TiltedEngineElan+2.jpg and
Jan

1963 23B
1969 Elan + 2
1973 Europa JPS Special
2004 Prep'ed Lotus Exige
Over Steer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:10 pm

Jan.
You may not have the correct engine mounts. All +2 have the same mount on both sides, 026 E 6011. Check to see that your mounts are identical. Weber carburetted Elans have a different mount on the carburettor side to raise the engine on that side to give clearance to the fenderwell. It looks like you might have one of these on your exhaust side. There is never much clearance under the airbox at the front. However your engine is obviously tilted in a manner suggesting incorrect motor mounts.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:54 am

I agree with Russ, the tilt is wrong.
Maybe the new trans mount tilted the front of the engine downward? New engine mounts would raise the whole assembly?
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Over Steer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:13 am

the spacers under the gearbox mount were necessary to raise it to the original hight, as the newer mounts are 20mm lower. this was to align the engine/chassis mounts properly, this could be seen here:

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16011

My car was running with webbers, it is now fitted with delortos.

There is a number stamped on one of the mountings (F 208) does this mean anything you?

I have ordered new mounts twice, the first time i was given ones for the regular (baby?) elan, the second lot where ripped. this is what led me to using the europa's mounts.

Does anyone know of a reliable supplier for these parts (the ones i got where from paul matty)

Thanks for helping me out.
Jan

1963 23B
1969 Elan + 2
1973 Europa JPS Special
2004 Prep'ed Lotus Exige
Over Steer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:45 am

Try Sue Miller, she's very reliable...but so are Mattys usually.

http://www.mickmillerlotus.com/intro.html

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:03 am

The Paul Matty catalogue lists different part numbers for Europa S2 & Europa Twin Cam engine mountings - the Europa S2 ones are the same as Elan +2 ones. Which have you got? Are they the same both sides?

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:41 pm

Call Sue Miller, talk to her....order.

She has never let me down!

I even got new engine mounts from her last year and they fit perfectly :)

Best of luck,
Peter '73 +2S 130/5
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Over Steer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:38 pm

so i've taken out the exhaust side mounting (from the '73 europa) and replaced it with the shot one from mattys, this aligns the engine more or less correctly. I'm sending it off to be vulcanized on Monday that should sort it.

the more i work on the car the more i'm convinced that Chapman must have had a secret workforce of umpa-lumpas, with double jointed miniature hands and fingers (maybe they where thai umpa-lumpas) to assemble cars for him.
Jan

1963 23B
1969 Elan + 2
1973 Europa JPS Special
2004 Prep'ed Lotus Exige
Over Steer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi Jan,

I had a similar experience on my stromberg plus two. The airbox hit the inner fender in first gear or reverse gear ie when the engine produces the most torque.
My engine mountings were near new but when I put my fingers down to gauge the gap of the hole in the |U-shaped metal part I did discover that the carb side had a smaller hole than on the other side ( on stromberg engines both mounts are identical).
I removed the mount ( a *&^$# of a job!!) and I noticed that the rubber part was completely intact but when compared with an old mount I could see that the middle plate that bolts to the chassis was situated slightly higher up so that would explain the slightly lower position of the engine on that side and the airbox hitting the fender.
Now i have installed an old mount of which I filled the hole at the top and the back of the mount with silicone which will hopefully cure my problem.
I have also filed the chassis mount holes slightly oval so I can raise the engine a bit.
Admittently I just did this job a few days ago and I have not driven the car yet but I can see that the gap between fender and airbox is bigger.
Just hope that the carbs or other stuff will not hit the bonnet now!
In my opinion The tolerances of all lotus stuff you buy have to be checked before you fit it. there is a lot of junk out there!!
cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Over Steer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:37 pm

yes it does seem that the newer recreations have pretty "wide" manufacturing tolerances. also the quality of the rubber is terrible best. mine were cracked and detached from the metal when i received them.

i just hope that i won't have to replace the inlet side mount. the rear side fuel pump bolt is so cramped to work on that it would make the pope swear.
Jan

1963 23B
1969 Elan + 2
1973 Europa JPS Special
2004 Prep'ed Lotus Exige
Over Steer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:39 pm

... A good thing to do , is , when new and before fitting , fill the space not with silicone , but with that black windscreen's glue , as used on TTR "heavy duty" engine mount ... Finally
Carglass can help with engine !
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Jan,
I had the same problem when I fitted my new engine mounts for CN's; exactly the same issue.

What I found was that I had installed them the wrong way up.

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Over Steer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:35 pm

mounting them upside down would be disastrous should the mountings fail, as the engine would drop to the road. i was going to get them filled with polyurethane at rhino linings, hopefully they will have a compound that is not too stiff. also i can get the mounting plate moved up by 2-3mm to gain some more clearance.

how much does the engine actually twist under torque? (mine is standard).
Jan

1963 23B
1969 Elan + 2
1973 Europa JPS Special
2004 Prep'ed Lotus Exige
Over Steer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:23 pm

The engine will never fall out as you should have a bracing bar that runs side to side, just behind the higher main part of the sump.

And of course you also have the sway/anti roll bar that would hold the engine if the mounts were to ever fail.
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:02 pm

I have just driven the car and the knocking sound on take offf and reverse is still there and that is without the airbox fitted.
This was my last experiment after having changed engine mountings, removed stabiliser and chassis bar etc...
I have been unable to find the cause since having the car on the road in 2005. Next step will be to put in onto a hoist with someone in tha car going back ad forward and someone else looking underneath.
It drives my wild not being able to find it!!
Keep you posted.
Robin :oops:

Ps I have also checked all body to chassis bolts in cause the body did lift on take-off.
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: