+2 Window Quarter Light Channels Manufactured in Stainless

PostPost by: pmallinson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:08 am

Hi Everyone

I have the first batch of Stainless Steel channels delivered from my engineering workshop and they look to have been made to a very good standard.

This though DOES NOT guarantee that they will not need some 'adjustment / tweaking' to make them fit perfectly as they are all individually made by hand and welded by hand etc, however looking at them alongside an original they certainly sen to be pretty damn close, but we won't know until they are fitted which is probably how it was in the factory anyway ! :wink:

They are NOT cheep unfortunately as they stand me at 36 GBP / pair supplied to me here in Vietnam ! hence I recon if we say 40 GBP for a pair to you +2 owners on the elan web + P&P from Ireland (When I get them back there ready for dispatch early Aug) estimated at about 5 GBP to UK all other locations will be at cost to me for P&P I DO NOT make money from P&P.

I do also have some mild steel ones and they will be painted, both are made from heavier grade materials than the originals so should last a long time, but it does have to be said the SS ones are better finished off

What doesn't sell will go on eBay as per normal, if your interested in some drop me a mail so I can get you on the list and then the rest will be for eBay or maybe sell to the 'usual suspects' and THEN the price will go up !! :roll:
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:11 am

Peter,
Is this the quarterlight base channel, the bottom channel that the glass sits in?
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:10 am

It is the piece that 1/4 light window fits into and then joins to the door chrome frame front and back + there is anohter mounting bracket on it which I'm not sure about as I have NOT yet had mine out to see the arangement :oops:

But I have had these created from a original channel which was rotted out, I'm assured this is a common fault and they are NLA anywhere else hence I decided to get some made up to help out elan.net +2 owners.

I'll post a picture of the them (prior to being remanufactured) so you can see and probably work it out

Cheers
Attachments
QTR Light Window channel resized.JPG and
QTR Light Window channel 3.JPG and
1 Pair of window channels
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:53 am

Thanks Peter. I wanted to make sure I had understood correctly.
Mine are fine so I guess I'm lucky.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:31 am

I just wanted to clarify here the amount of work that goes into making each one of these window channels.

It is made from 6 distinct components,

The bottom or the channel cut out in an arc shape

The two sides of the channel cut out flat and then curved to match the bottom as above once this is done they are TIG welded together to form the arced channel and then ground up to make 'pretty'

The front bracket made and bent to 55 deg then drilled and tapped with 2 holes prior to being welded to the front of the channel base

The rear bracket made and bent to 70 deg then drilled and tapped with 2 holes prior to being welded to the rear of the channel base

The side bracket then made and a double angle of 70 & 60 Deg made in it prior to drilling the mounting hole and welding to the bottom / side of the channel base.

The whole thing is then cleaned up and the weld splatter etc removed and any sharp edges ground.

Sorry if this sounds like justification for the price, it maters not to me as I know what I was charged which I though originally was a dear cost but on reflection I would not like to make one in 304 grade SS for that amount :roll:

cheers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:12 pm

Peter

And a picture of the stainless ones?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:49 pm

If its this part here, then I guess you'd better put me down for a pair :shock:

Let me know when you want payment...

Cheers
Jon
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi Peter

Put me down for a pair of SS ones please.

PM me when you want payment or remind me of your address and I'll send the cheque now.

Thanks

Jason

Ps

I have used the hub remover a few times now and it works a treat.
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:19 am

Interested too.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:46 am

Hi Gents

Thanks for the graphic picture of a totally knackered one Jon they weren't kidding when they say they rotted out ! ( if I may I will use this in my eBay ad when selling if you have no problems with this ?)

These though should last a bit longer, you can see the difference in material thickness alone never mind being SS !

The mild steel ones though are also good and strong and will last a lifetime I'm sure

Please do remember as they are hand made they may need tweaking to fit 100% as per your originals (if THEY ever did ?) but anyone who is this far into a door should have no problems with a vice, hammer and file as may be needed :wink:

cheers
Attachments
DSCN0902 resized.JPG and
DSCN0901 resized.JPG and
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:49 am

Peter
Can you put me down for a pair
Thanks
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:34 am

Hi,

Could you please put me down for a pair of the ss ones. As with others pm me with address for cheque and final price etc.

Many thanks,
Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lotus fan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:42 am

I'll have a pair of SS ones too as these are mine !!!

Cheers Ian.
Attachments
door.jpg and
Lotus fan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:19 pm

Peter

I would also like a pair of the S/S ones. Please PM me with the details, payment instructions etc.

Many thanks and well done.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:03 pm

Ditto all the above. Please let me know price & availability of a pair of SS channels.

Thanks for taking the initiative for us all!

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: