26r identities and other info

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:26 am

Hi All
Att'd is the factory spec for the "RACING VERSION LOTUS ELAN"

This document is dated January 1964 and the first 26R left the factory on 25/2/64 so I think it is safe to assume this is the original 26R spec. (in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I think it is virtually impossible to state when the wheels changed from solid to those with cutouts. The most likely change date was when the batch of solid wheels ran out!!

Many normal road cars have been modified to a similar spec as posted but this does not make them 26R's (again in my opinion)

There is an interesting article on GGLC called "What's in a 26R'" some errors re alloy wishbones but mostly correct and well worth a look.

Cheers
Dave
Attachments
EPSON045s.jpg and
EPSON044s.jpg and
EPSON043s.jpg and
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:06 pm

HI Dave not to appear antagonistic but there isn't much there we don't already know = but every bit helps and thanks ----With Spring around the corner and a new grand child plus the first one also to enjoy and with some garage work to finish on 26RS2 33 to my satisfaction IM going to be scarce for a little while I will drop in to stir things a bit occasionally so its OVER TO YOU DAVE ----ED
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:06 pm

HI Dave not to appear antagonistic but there isn't much there we don't already know = but every bit helps and thanks ----With Spring around the corner and a new grand child plus the first one also to enjoy and with some garage work to finish on 26RS2 33 to my satisfaction IM going to be scarce for a little while I will drop in to stir things a bit occasionally so its OVER TO YOU DAVE ----ED
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Ed
Have fun with the grand kids.

Have you developed a stammer or is your trigger finger a bit twitchy?

Some other members may not have seen the spec. To those that already have I apologise.
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:07 pm

RIB wrote:I have copies of the original Lotus Components specifications for the 'Racing Version Lotus Elan' and 'Racing Version Lotus Elan S.2'. The first, presumably for what is now known as the Series 1 or S1 is dated January 1964, but that for the S2 is not dated. Attached to the S2 specification is a copy of the FIA/ RAC 'Amendment to Form of Recognition' adding alternative magnesium wheels 6" rim width with a photograph of the solid wheels with no cut outs. This is dated 16th November 1964.

Does anyone know dates for when the 26R S2 and the wheels with cut outs were introduced? Can we assume that both were November 1964?

Ian

Ian,
I would like to see these, please. Can you tell us where you got your copies from?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RIB » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi,

As Dave has now copied his specification for the S1, I have attached the S2 specification and the RAC/FIA amendment.

I bought the specifications, together with ?Handling and Maintenance Notes for the Racing Version of the Lotus Elan? and specifications for Type 51 and 61 Formula Fords at an auto jumble many years ago. I think that is was a local auto jumble in Southampton and the seller lived in Andover and serviced and repaired instruments. I remember other people who were interested saying that they were too expensive, but I decided that they were worth it even though I was only interested in the 26R documents.

Ian
Attachments
26R S2 Specification.pdf
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 658 times
RIB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks for that Ian, much clearer copy.

Here is a 26/R racing at Oulton Park yesterday. :D

Edit- watermark added due to image robber. :evil:
Last edited by elansprint71 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:44 am

Plus ?a change, plus c'est la m?me chose!

N'est-ce pas? :)

Salut - Richard
Attachments
Elan History Request.jpg and
Le Plus Ca Change
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi All

I got some more info on U.S. driven Lightweight Elan's or 26r as most call them. Seems they were a bit too competitive to be in C production after they cleaned up at the ARRC at Daytona 1965. The SCCA moved them up into B production to "level" the playing field for 1966 to compete against the small block V8's in the Corvette's and Cobra's.
run offs 64 - 67.jpg and

I will let Clark tell the story as he knows a bit more about this than I do. Here is his email.

Gary,

Post this to ElanNet if you like.....

Like most Lotus cars the Elan 26R experienced a checkered career with the SCCA during the 1960s. The SCCA National Championships Races known then as the American Road Race of Campions (ARRC) was held alternately at Riverside and Daytona until moving to Road Atlanta in the early 1970's.

It was all west coast Elan racers who made their way to the Riverside ARRC in 1964 when the highest placed Elan in the C-Production race was Texas Lotus Dealer Ed Tucker.

1965 was the banner year for Elans in the Daytona ARRC when Bill Young, Phil Groggins and Joe Ward finished first, second and third in the C-Productin race. Photo of the winning Bill Young car (26-S2-30) is attached.

By now the SCCA was very suspect of the legality and homologation status of the Elan 26R or Lightweight Elan as known by some. For 1966 a move to B-Production and competition form the Corvettes, Shelby Mustangs and Cobras would prove too much for our little 1600cc fiberglass roadster. In spite of the big bore competitors Ed Tucker still managed a 4th place finish at the 1966 Riverside ARRC.

So what would SCCA do next? Move the Elan back to C-Production but now without all the 26R lightweight goodies.....no lightweight bodies and no alloy or mag driveline components. Six Elans still made it to the 1967 ARRC this time at Daytona where Bob Leitzinger qualified 6th; fastest of the Elans. It would be nice to know just what type cars were present in 1967. Based on the attached photo of the start of the 1967 C-Production race the Jim Trueman (yes Jim Trueman of MidOhio Raceway, Turesports Racing and Red Roof Inns) and Jim Harris Elans are clearly left hand drive narrow bodied cars which would separate them from our understanding of 26R specification. The Bob Leitzinger car is right hand drive but also appears to have a narrow non-26R type body.

About this time the status of may USA based 26Rs that experienced success in SCCA racing between 1964 and 1966 was starting to become a bit mixed-up. Cars were likely split up with parts going here and there and bodies being exchanged for ones what were acceptable to the SCCA.

Someday it will all be sorted out. But like many other historic race cars we may end up with more in existence than the were every constructed by the factory.

1965 ARRC B. Young3.jpg and

1967 ARRC Start.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 am

I am fairly certain that Leitzinger's car was not a 26R. He has gone back to running an Elan in vintage events, perhaps Clark might run at one of the same races, and get a chance to confirm.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lance54 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:44 am

Mike,

I'll save Gary the keystrokes and reply in person.

I believe the Bob Leitzinger car of 1966 and 1967 to have been a 26R...he was a Lotus dealer after all. The car that he brought to the vintage race scene in 2009 was built up by Craig Chima in Akron Ohio. It's mostly new TTR components and I don't know that Bob claims it to be the actual 1966/1967 car. The car is most certainly fast...High HP and Low Weight...Craig told me the car is just 1220 pounds. At Lime Rock Park in 2009 I only ever saw the back of it going away rapidly.

I need to reach out to Bob and see what he knows about the 26Rs that were active in east coast SCCA racing during the mid 60's. Something to be learned there for sure.

Clark
lance54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:06 am

Hi Clark,
Welcome to the site, and thanks for the good info you have given us. I have admired your car at the PVGP over the last few years.

I am pretty sure that Leitzinger's current car is not the same one he used to race, although he has done a nice job of making it look like the old one. I was told that it has a Spyder frame, but have not seen it myself to verify.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:19 am

Bob's Elan was one of the cars that I took photos of back in September (along with Clark's) at Limerock. It was well covered up and I didn't lift up her dress to peek at the undies but looked like an Elan, but what do I know. All very nice indeed but limited as to what I could view. I don't know why I didn't get any engine photos but Bob was working on it at the time and the last thing you need is some jerk in your way while you are trying to get ready for the next heat...

Gary
Attachments
P9040147.jpg and
P9040148.jpg and
P9040149.jpg and
P9040150.jpg and
P9040151.jpg and
P9040152.jpg and
P9040153.jpg and
P9040146.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:37 am

Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:09 pm

elancoupe wrote:Engine bay photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27666849@N04/3970766966/

What a shame.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: