BRM elans

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:22 pm

vstibbard wrote:I'm looking for a metallic green to paint a car, does anyone know the paint code of the colour on s3 dhc in the thread above?
Cheers V

Vaughan,
When I spoke to Alan Rigarlsford (who painted all the Elans at Mike Spence) he told me that the polychromatic green was supplied to them by BRM, it was the paint they used on their F1 team cars. It sounded to me like they had it specially made up, rather than it being from a road car manufacturer.

Incidentally, I don't think that the green car in my two photos above is the correct green! (Not even sure if it is a Kosher BRM Elan). :?

Some years ago Rover introduced a "BRM version" of their 200 model; the car itself was something of a poor joke but I remember thinking that the paint job was just about correct. A web search brings up this forum (ye gods is there no crappy tin-box car which does not have a forum these days?):
http://www.thebrm.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=5149
Perhaps you could get some info from them about the paint . I would be surprised if the rover "BRM" made it down under- you lot have far too much taste!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Pete & Vaughan

Having just read this & checking back as far as I can find out, the colour was known as "Polychromatic Green, ICI P030-3503".

Sorry, don't know the colour for the "Polychromatic orange".

Hope that helps

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Pastapesto wrote:Pete & Vaughan

Having just read this & checking back as far as I can find out, the colour was known as "Polychromatic Green, ICI P030-3503".

Sorry, don't know the colour for the "Polychromatic orange".

Hope that helps

Adam

Excellent Adam- thanks for that. :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Here's one that I know about.

The car belongs to Denis Liversedge and is driven here by Barrie "Whizzo" Williams at the Harewood Hillclimb 50 Anniversary last year.

Doug
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:58 am

Adam, thanks for the paint code etc, im off tomorrow to get a sample painted Cheers V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 pm

dougweall wrote:Here's one that I know about.

The car belongs to Denis Liversedge and is driven here by Barrie "Whizzo" Williams at the Harewood Hillclimb 50 Anniversary last year.

Doug

Doug, that car is not a Mike Spence BRM Elan. Denis has never said that it is.
http://www.brmlotuselan.com/history.htm
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 pm

vstibbard wrote:I'm looking for a metallic green to paint a car, does anyone know the paint code of the colour on s3 dhc in the thread above?
Cheers V

Dear V,

I was in at Option 1 recently, Frank and I were talking about Polychromatic green, O1 have painted a genuine BRM car, Frank said that he'd sourced the correct paint, which was regarded as unobtainium.

By the way, I loved the pictures of your 26R, is that Tartan or Signal red? It looks darker than Carmine red.

Best regards,
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi, am I being a bit too naive here?
I've always believed that any paint shop worth its salt with one of those fancy paint mixing machines can make any colour you want, so where does the "unobtanium" come in to it? :?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Hi, am I being a bit too naive here?
I've always believed that any paint shop worth its salt with one of those fancy paint mixing machines can make any colour you want, so where does the "unobtanium" come in to it? :?

Cheers
John

I would have thought so too, but that's what Frank said, perhaps its something to do with the content of the paint? That's what he said and I gather he knows more about paint than I do.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:31 am

If a codes available then any competent painter should be able to mix/source the paint, if no code but paint available they can colourvspectrum scan to work it out.

Mazzini, re my 26R, on old workshop manual with the car it was noted as tinter red, ive early colour pictures of it and is was deep red not the orange reds that were lotus std colours. I've painted it with (gasp) a current VW red which was close to the colour found on the shell, its tournado red a current Golf GTI colour.

When ive some time I'll Post some shots of the car, still finishing some interior details, and more dyno time to get it running cleaner down low, very fussy at moment.

Cheers V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 am

I was talking to Frank at Option 1 precisely about this car, that's when he made the comment.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sirlotus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Does anyone know who the present owner is of ORX744F (4th post in this thread) as I used to own it back in the 70's
Cheers
Michael
sirlotus
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:37 am

Can probably find out for you, is there a particular reason?

Cheers
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sirlotus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Nostalgia, curiosity, information etc.
Michael
sirlotus
New-tral

PreviousNext