Rally Elans.

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:27 pm

andyfrancis wrote:In response to the definition of 'slightly modified' for the 1967 Players' No6 Autocross Championship winning Elan driven by Peter Watkin. The car continued to be campaigned by owner Tim Graham in both autocross and rallycross and he rolled it into a little ball at an autocross in Essex in 1968/9? finishing up upside down on top of him. The car was rebuilt with the larger semi-circular roll bar visible in the picture of the 'Dentune' rallycross Elan, it is the same car, and I acquired it in October 1971 as a rolling chassis. At that time it had a 'Detroit Locker' LSD, not the more normal Salisbury unit, universal-joint driveshafts, apparently sourced from a Formula 2 car, rose-jointed wishbones front and rear, 'rocket' gearbox with alloy bellhousing and a 'quick' rack. How many of these items were on the car in 1967 and how many were fitted between then and when I bought it I have no idea!
i acquired the 1760cc non-crossflow pushrod engine used by George Whitehead to win the Briitish saloon car championship twice in his Anglia and fitted this to the Elan. I campaigned it throuhout 1972 until the first Wills' Embassy rallycross round in October at Lydden Hill where the car was destroyed in a rather comprehensive rollover which saw the banning of all open cars from rallycross.
The new rollbar worked as this time the car ended up back on its wheels, well the 3 that were left on the car, about 100 meters away from the start of the accident. There was no bodywork left in front of the front wheels, the entire rear section 'hinged' just in front of the bootlid, the chassis was bent at both ends, out at the right front and to the left at the rear, the right rear wheel was ripped off complete with the wishbone and strut, which was bent about 90 degrees, both doors were knocked off, and what bodywork was left was cracked in 2 lengthwise! there really wasn't enough left to rebuild and I took the remains down to the council dump which was not a very nice end for such a successful car.

No doubt this car will be back in circulation soon. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: solidairs » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:43 pm

andyfrancis wrote:In response to the definition of 'slightly modified' for the 1967 Players' No6 Autocross Championship winning Elan driven by Peter Watkin. The car continued to be campaigned by owner Tim Graham in both autocross and rallycross and he rolled it into a little ball at an autocross in Essex in 1968/9? finishing up upside down on top of him. The car was rebuilt with the larger semi-circular roll bar visible in the picture of the 'Dentune' rallycross Elan, it is the same car, and I acquired it in October 1971 as a rolling chassis. At that time it had a 'Detroit Locker' LSD, not the more normal Salisbury unit, universal-joint driveshafts, apparently sourced from a Formula 2 car, rose-jointed wishbones front and rear, 'rocket' gearbox with alloy bellhousing and a 'quick' rack. How many of these items were on the car in 1967 and how many were fitted between then and when I bought it I have no idea!
i acquired the 1760cc non-crossflow pushrod engine used by George Whitehead to win the Briitish saloon car championship twice in his Anglia and fitted this to the Elan. I campaigned it throuhout 1972 until the first Wills' Embassy rallycross round in October at Lydden Hill where the car was destroyed in a rather comprehensive rollover which saw the banning of all open cars from rallycross.
The new rollbar worked as this time the car ended up back on its wheels, well the 3 that were left on the car, about 100 meters away from the start of the accident. There was no bodywork left in front of the front wheels, the entire rear section 'hinged' just in front of the bootlid, the chassis was bent at both ends, out at the right front and to the left at the rear, the right rear wheel was ripped off complete with the wishbone and strut, which was bent about 90 degrees, both doors were knocked off, and what bodywork was left was cracked in 2 lengthwise! there really wasn't enough left to rebuild and I took the remains down to the council dump which was not a very nice end for such a successful car.

And I well remember the sorry state of your ribs for weeks afterwards. Most impressed you survived after seeing the photographs you showed us. How the devil are you? CT
solidairs
New-tral

PostPost by: andyfrancis » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 am

My ribs weren't so bad but my right shoulder took 6 weeks to work properly again, my shoulder blade was possibly cracked, and I walked around holding on to my shirtfront to ease the pressure on my shoulder and driving one-handed with my right hand resting in my lap and just holding the wheel while I changed gear.
CT? Who is this?
andyfrancis
New-tral

PostPost by: solidairs » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:38 am

Ring any bells?
Attachments
Lotus Elan S2 .jpg and
solidairs
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:43 am

By George! What's going on there CT?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyfrancis » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:41 am

Well Mr Turner how are you? I do remember towing this car to Manchester/Liverpool? after you sold it using my trailer and my friend's Wolseley 6/90. What are you up to these days Colin, I think the last time I heard from you you were in Germany (?). If you are on Facebook contact me there to avoid filling this forum with a lot of non-lotus stuff.
andyfrancis
New-tral

PostPost by: solidairs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:13 am

Hi Andy, great to make contact - do you Skype? i'm sitting in a que at Dover docks on my way to krautland now but would love to catch up. Don't facebook much but will send an email address. Ttfn. CT.
solidairs
New-tral

PostPost by: Hart27 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 pm

Does anyone know about Tim Graham?s other cars like his Hillman Imp 4x4 he rallycrossed around the time he had the elan?
Hart27
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: