Lotus Elan

Anyone have a '73 Federal Emissions compliant label?

PostPost by: SimonP » Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi

I need to source '73 ish tag for my Plus 2, in order to complete registration in CA. Mine has been lost from the car :)

One I could buy, borrow or even a good photograph would help me out. Can anyone help me get road registered please?

Info I was unaware of may be helpful to the rest of you:

Even though the car is pre-smog '75 - a change in the way registrations are processed during 2017, means cars post '69 must have evidence of compliance with Federal regs. Had I registered the car last year - no tag would have been needed.

Thanks to all

Simon
SimonP
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Do you mean this? It's from my '72 Sprint. I don't know if a '73 would have different wording, other than
the year in the last line.
Attachments
dsc00719.jpg and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonP » Sun May 13, 2018 1:05 am

Thanks that’s exacly what I need. Where is it mounted?

And does anyone have a spare for sale? Or even loan? I’d be happy to send a deposit so you know you will get it back.
Just need to pass the inspection.

Thanks again - this forum is great

Simon
SimonP
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun May 13, 2018 7:35 am

There is no such thing as a 1973 Federal Lotus Elan, even though people try to sell their cars as such since they were registered in '73. The Elan did not meet 1973 bumper standards.

You can buy the 1972 emissions plate from RDent.com Part # 36B1136 & it is $24.00
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun May 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Simon, I have one for loan. rob dot walker at sbcglobal dot net. Is this for initial registration in California or annual?
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Tread softly in the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon
prezoom
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SimonP » Sun May 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks Phil and Rob - really helpful advice and offers - much appreciated.

I'll call RD on Monday and see if that's the answer.

Will document the latest CA DMV requirements for everyone once I get a registration. My mistake was assuming the procedure / rules are fixed - they are not - they change.

Happy Lotusing.

PS attaching a recent pic from Willow Springs - just learning my way round
Attachments
image001.png and
SimonP
New-tral

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sun May 13, 2018 8:38 pm

The build date is what is key on this as I have a 73 titled plus2S130 but the build date is in 72. So mine is registered as a 73. And I'm pretty sure the bumper standards are 74 based anyway as you can look at the MGB as an example with the 73 build MGB still being 74 titled and chrome bumper but then there are 74s with the rubber bumper and that's the switch point in 74. And yes, RD enterprises has the plates Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Sun May 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Is your car actually a Federal car (ie EPA compliant at manufacture date)? From your photo looks like perhaps a UK car?

Hopefully all you need is the Compliance plate to satisfy the DMV. With what is otherwise a smog exempt car you have fallen into a bureaucratic “Catch 22”.

I ran into this when I tried to buy a fuel pump regulator for my 69 California registered Elan. Even though exempt from smog the car had to be a 65 or older to purchase the aftermarket (non-CARB certified) part. Even though with no smog test there would be no mechanism to enforce/check compliance. Situation of falling between the cracks of the two different agencies: DMV and CARB (California Air Resources Board).

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.
1owner69Elan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SimonP » Mon May 14, 2018 12:21 am

@1owner69Elan

Your assumptions are all spot on.

Unfortunately I started the registration process without being fully aware of the requirements. My VIN verifier had the knowledge, but didn't brief me, or I could have avoided the Catch 22 situation. My car is a '72 build, '73 registration.

Anyway I hope to establish there is still a path to registering a '69 to '75 era UK spec car in California. If I succeed I'll post here.

If not the car will have to go out of state.

Thanks to all.
Simon
SimonP
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Mon May 14, 2018 12:26 am

SimonP wrote:Anyway I hope to establish there is still a path to registering a '69 to '75 era UK spec car in California. If I succeed I'll post here.

As a owner of a 73 built car, with no plans to sell the car or move to California, I would still very much appreciate you sharing what you find out.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonP » Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 am

@mbell
Will do!
SimonP
New-tral

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 am

Here’s the policy on direct import of cars into California:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs ... rs_faq.htm

Tricky
1owner69Elan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:12 am

California has certainly created a gap in car registration from 68 to 74 "model year" which makes dealing in Elans into California somewhat challenging. Especially at he boundaries as "model year" was a purely US marketing concept and cars built elsewhere did not have the same marketing concept.

... and I thought the minor differences in registration processes and requirements between Australian states was irrational

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonP » Mon May 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi
So impressed with all the help here. Obviously it would have been better to do the research before shipping the car, but my '69 E Type sailed through with no issues a couple of years ago, and I got complacent.

Let's see what happens, and I'll let you all know. Worst case - someone out of state is going to get a bargain Plus 2. I've sunk way more into her than she's worth at this point :(

Thanks again
Simon
SimonP
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 am

1owner69Elan wrote:Here’s the policy on direct import of cars into California:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs ... rs_faq.htm

Tricky

"1968 model year to 1974 model year vehicles: California does not recommend the purchase or importation of these years of NON-USA vehicles, even if currently registered in another state. These vehicles require compliance with USEPA requirements in effect on the specific date of 11/15/1972. "

Hmm, your car looks to be a UK model (Dell'Ortos), which would be different from the Federal model (Strombergs, cross over pipes, different distributor advance curve.) so would not have met the California standards as of that date. What I do know is you don't try to bluff/trick federal state agencies. They have the right to impound or crush cars that went around the standards,

p.s. Did not know any of this... I imported my car in from Canada to NY, no issues with a car over 25 years old at all.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: