Lotus Elan

S1 Dash Board

PostPost by: greg40green » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Can I ask a favour please .
Could someone post a photograph / photographs of an original 1963/64 Lotus Elan S1 , oiled , teak dash board fitted in the car .
Two reasons for this .
1) The one I was sent at Christmas only had one fixing hole in between the speedo and rev counter where the cast aluminium bracket is attached behind which holds the steering column in place.
If / when I attached the cast aluminium bracket to the back of the dashboard there wasn't enough wood at the bottom of the dashboard to drill the 2 missing holes ie the dashboard wasn't deep enough in the first place hence the missing holes.
I believe that the cast aluminium bracket was fitted to the S1 - S4 and Sprint models. Was there a different bracket on the early S1 cars hence the 2 missing holes in the early dashboards. Personally I'm not of this opinion.

2) The hole cut for the speedo was 3 mm / one eighth of an inch from breaking through the wood at the top of the dash board which meant that the speedo rim overhung the dashboard and touched the underside of the crash pad.

I also need to see a picture / pictures of the correct clocks as there are quite a few different images on the internet , which are the correct clocks?
Much appreciated
Greg.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:25 pm

With regard to the placement of the various dials and switches, this is what the type26 manual has. This does also indicate the two screws at the bottom of the column bracket.

Paddy
Attachments
dash-manual.png and
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:56 pm

With regard to the spacing of the dials relative to the edge of the dash, this might be helpful: lotus-chassis-f36/elan-dashboard-needed-for-pattern-t19391.html#p166408

That's the clearest picture I can find that shows the position relative to the edge. I realise the pattern that is the subject of that thread isn't original, but it's clearly copied from an original.

The photos below are from my dash, which is the original panel (but re-veneered).

Paddy
Attachments
img_20180107_204134.jpg and
img_20180107_204125.jpg and
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Finally, with regard to the column bracket - when I got my car the bracket was broken and part of it was missing. So I can't be certain that the original bracket was the same as later cars, but I've no reason to think it was different. The standard bracket clearly fits.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Hello Paddy
Thank you for the time and trouble posting the photo's .
Firstly your dash clearly shows that there is definitely the sight of 3-5 mm of dashboard showing above the top of the MPH gauge and the underside of the crash pad which the one I was supplied with didn't have any wood showing.
Re the column bracket screws again there are definitely 3 fixing screws showing on your dash whereas I only had a hole for 1 fixing screw and not enough wood at the bottom of the dash to drill the missing holes..

Other things I notice with your clocks are
1) Your rev counter goes 0,1,2,3,4,5 etc mine goes 0,10, 20 , 30, 40 , 50 etc
2) Your dual gauge . Oil pressure goes to what looks like 100 , mine goes to 60 ( my gauge has a black rim as does yours)
3) On your dual gauge you have a double white pinstripe painted all around the outer diameter of the clock face , mine has a single white pin stripe around the outer clock face.
Question .
Is there any single one correct correct MPH , Rev counter , dual gauge , fuel gauge for the S1 Elan or was it a case of ' generally ' X,Y,Z ' could have been fitted over the period of the S1 ie Last of the Elite gauges , Lotus Cortina gauges etc ?
Thanks again , Greg.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi,
greg40green wrote:Firstly your dash clearly shows that there is definitely the sight of 3-5 mm of dashboard showing above the top of the MPH gauge and the underside of the crash pad which the one I was supplied with didn't have any wood showing.
Re the column bracket screws again there are definitely 3 fixing screws showing on your dash whereas I only had a hole for 1 fixing screw and not enough wood at the bottom of the dash to drill the missing holes..

I would say those are definitely problems with your dash.

greg40green wrote:Other things I notice with your clocks are
1) Your rev counter goes 0,1,2,3,4,5 etc mine goes 0,10, 20 , 30, 40 , 50 etc
2) Your dual gauge . Oil pressure goes to what looks like 100 , mine goes to 60 ( my gauge has a black rim as does yours)
3) On your dual gauge you have a double white pinstripe painted all around the outer diameter of the clock face , mine has a single white pin stripe around the outer clock face.
Question .
Is there any single one correct correct MPH , Rev counter , dual gauge , fuel gauge for the S1 Elan or was it a case of ' generally ' X,Y,Z ' could have been fitted over the period of the S1 ie Last of the Elite gauges , Lotus Cortina gauges etc ?

I can't guarantee that mine are original.

The 60 vs 100 psi question has definitely been discussed here before, and it's mentioned here: http://www.type26register.com/spec_changes.html

The gauges in these photos look more like yours than mine: http://www.type26register.com/interior_trim.html, http://www.type26register.com/images/De ... %20055.jpg

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jonsered 11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi Greg,
I have a spare set of the proper Series1 black dash screws if you need them?

Regards Jonsered
jonsered 11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 am

PM sent
Thanks , Greg.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jonsered 11 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:36 am

Hi Greg,

apologies for not getting back to you.....but the PM never arrived ?
Probably easier to text me at 07836609474,

Regards Jonsered
jonsered 11
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: