Lotus Elan

S4 seat belt brackets

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:05 pm

I wondered if any one has a set of original S4 seat belt brackets cluttering up their garage ?

I have a chapmanesque idea that I wish to test out (for a S2) and just wish to either buy a very cheap set or perhaps just borrow a set for 10 days (ideally not too far from the Essex / Suffolk area anyone?). [The parts are readily available from well known retailers but I just need to copy a few details...]

Can anyone help ?
Frogelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Do you mean these ? ....
seat-belt-mounting-plates-2.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Yes.

Have a bright idea as to how these could be modified. Is it possible to borrow or buy them (I'll need to reconfigure them).

Andrew
Frogelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Andrew,
You have a PM.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Andrew,
I dont know what you intend doing with the brackets but I fitted some to my S2 and while they fit the chassis ok they do not line up well for the seat belts.
There is quite a large gap between the body and the the seat belt anchor hole although this is not the main problem, the issue is that the threaded anchor point hole is opposite the curvature of the body so is not really suited to fit the seat belts.
I presume this is because the S2 body is different to the S3/4 body.
If you are not using the brackets for the seat belts please disregard my post.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:53 pm

types26/36 wrote:Andrew,
I dont know what you intend doing with the brackets but I fitted some to my S2 and while they fit the chassis ok they do not line up well for the seat belts.
There is quite a large gap between the body and the the seat belt anchor hole although this is not the main problem, the issue is that the threaded anchor point hole is opposite the curvature of the body so is not really suited to fit the seat belts.
I presume this is because the S2 body is different to the S3/4 body.
If you are not using the brackets for the seat belts please disregard my post.

Hi Brian,
Which bracket did you try ? The S4 bracket is longer than the S3 one and puts the anchor point further outboard, both brackets are listed on SJ Sportscars site. On the S4 the mount is very close to the curve in the body with a large gap between body and anchor bolt hole as you have found. Spacers are used on the right angled mounting bolt. Don't know how different the S2, S3 and S4 bodies might be in this area but maybe the shorter S3 bracket would work on the S2 body ? Just a thought.
Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks for the erudite suggestions.

I will look at both S3 and S4. I have an idea which I would like to check out...more news if it checks out properly...it is not for fitting seatbelts gentlemen !
Frogelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi Roger,
As Andrew is not using the brackets for seatbelts its immaterial but just for interests sake you may very well be correct as I have no idea which brackets I used, I bought them off ebay and thought they were all the same.
I did note that they were stamped "L" & "R" but I could see no difference as I tried them on both sides an they fitted either side.
Attachments
chassis-rear-turrets-008.jpg and
chassis-rear-turrets-007.jpg and
chassis-build-032.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Looks like you have S4 brackets Brian ......

s4-bracket.jpg and
S4 bracket
s3-bracket-case-conflict-1.jpg and
S3 bracket

I didn't know there was a difference either until I noticed the two listed on SJS website.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:55 am

The S3 ones best for my purpose: attaching a purpose built (long range) fuel tank frame.

I did not expect to get such interesting observations! Thanks everyone.
Frogelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks Roger,
That’s interesting, just to add a little more to the discussion, looking at the two types I still doubt that even the S3 type would work very well on the type 26 bodies as the brackets don’t look to be too much shorter and the main body to chassis mounting point is reasonably close to the curvature of the rear tub.
Maybe someone else has done it and if not this thread may be of use to them.
Attachments
s2-seat-belts-005-hdtv-720.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 am

Following the very useful replies here, I have done some research with the help of SJ Sportscars who very obligingly did some measurements which I indicate below.

The vertical "offset" of the S3 is 42mm and the S4 is 65mm (as measured from the "kink" of the part to the centre line of the "seat belt" bolt.

The difference of 23mm (S3 is narrower than the S4) is very helpful for me, but I now need to see how this would work on a S2 chassis.
Frogelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:12 am

Just to add a little more......
I found this picture in my records which shows that my S4 body is recessed where the seat belt mounting comes through so it looks like there was a modification in production to accommodate the longer bracket. I believe the move to outboard mounting on the S3 was necessary to comply with legislation (gets a mention in the workshop manual) but I wonder why it was moved further out on the S4 .... maybe to improve driver comfort by reducing the tendency for the belt to cut in to your neck perhaps ?
seat-belt-upper-mount-recess.png and
Recess for seat belt mount
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:13 am

I have now ordered some S3 ones, although I may have to modify them for my intended purpose!

Many thanks to everyone.
Frogelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: