Lotus Elan

1967 DHC Elan for auction

PostPost by: philbirch » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 am

Spotted this sky blue 1967 DHC for sale at auction, I would love to bid myself but need to sell my R300 first
http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/c ... an-s3-dhc/
Phil
philbirch
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:59 am

S1 rear lights on a S3 body?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:26 am

Check the chassis carefully. Cars rusted very quickly when I lived in Singapore.
Gray
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:03 pm

pharriso wrote:S1 rear lights on a S3 body?

Same holes Phil, and you can get the earlier lights! There are a few non-standard bits on it, but nothing that couldn't be sorted quite easily. Love the colour!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:38 pm

The rear lights are a plus point for me :D I always said if I ended up with a series 2 or 3 I would fit series 1 rear lights as I really don't like the FB Victor lights :shock: :wink:
It says it's a locally owned car, I'm about 15 miles from King's Lynn but I've never seen it around. Might go to the auction if I've nothing else to do that day, but I do grudge the fact that they charge £5 a head just to go for a look.

Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:50 pm

is that a pencil coming out the back bottom of the car, oh it's the exhaust tail pipe! :lol:
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 am

Ted,

That is a very special exhaust tailpipe known as a "Mortifier"!

When you pull up to a light next to any normal type of Porsche or BMW (especially the Z3 things with four big tailpipes) and out accelerate them, they are, .............well, ...........................Mortified!!!!

My old Medici Blue S2 with Sprint Cams and with the engine as loose as a goose, would rev like crazy and pull hard. (Just ask Tony Vacarro!!!) The muffler didn't have much left in it either but at idle was pretty quite. a quick drag race and those guys were wondering what the hell just blew their doors off!!!!! Especially with that little pea shooter tailpipe.
Famous Frank

66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
66 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:00 pm

The same auction have just added this http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/c ... rit-turbo/ to their catalogue. Nice provenance, but is it really worth that kind of money in that condition?
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:24 am

Solution to pencil thin exhaust. I wonder if it breathes any better :)

https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/produ ... -s1-s2-s3/
seniorchristo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: philbirch » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:26 pm

The result of the auction inc premium was £24150, which seems to much money, though prices are changing all the time, fuelled by greedy dealers imho

Phil
philbirch
New-tral

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:54 am

Didn't go to the auction in the end, but a friend did & reported back that other than the usual Elan door fit it was a really nice car that had had a small fortune spent on it over the last few years. Interior was mint, nice paintwork, mechanically all looked good & receipts suggesting much was fairly new. It's always difficult to give a car a thorough examination at an auction, & you can't have a test drive, but said friend thought it was very good value at that price considering others he had seen recently. The final bid before buyers premium was £23,000.
Compare it to the Esprit, which was little more than a restoration project with dismantled engine, poor interior & unknown body condition due to the years of dust & crud, (but apparently, where people had wiped some of it away, it looked like the paintwork was poor also) that went for £19,425 including premium, (£18,500 bid) the Elan seems like a bit of a bargain :lol:

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: