Lotus Elan

Does anyone have an opinion on this car

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 pm

For whats its worth, both of mine have webers. One has the bulge and one has not.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:00 am

Chrispy wrote:
alan.barker wrote:Why do you say it was converted to Weber.
Lots of 1970 +2S cars had Bonnet with bulge BUT were Weber from new from Factory. :roll: :roll:
I used to have one like that and a friend at the moment also has one Bulge with Webers.
Alan

Interesting, I thought the Stromberg's were from ~70 onwards? I've got the bulge on my early weber car, but it looks to be a replacement.

Maybe in the US? Pretty sure the +2S in the domestic market had Webers. My 1970 +2S has Webers and a bonnet bulge. Webers definitely factory fitted, as it has the original engine with the F engine prefix...
draenog
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 am

[quote="deryck"]Looks great was lagoon blue around in 1970? my favourite colour on an Elan. Deryck.[/quote]

Deryck, Lagoon Blue Metallic was introduced by Lotus at the London Motor Show in October 1970.

Since this +2S was first registered on 5 Jun 70 we might conclude that it has had it's original colour sprayed over.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 am

[quote="Chrispy Interesting, I thought the Stromberg's were from ~70 onwards? I've got the bulge on my early weber car, but it looks to be a replacement.[/quote]

The bonnet bulges were introduced on the Elan and +2 to clear the Stromberg dashpots. However, many cars with Webers ended up having bonnets with bulges fitted, simply because that was what came to hand in the bodyshop at the time. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:43 am

JonB wrote:Ah-ha, Orsom, that would explain it; mine's an S130 and my Kinzle is broken.. :(

My 1971 S130 has a Smiths clock which looks original and is also broken!
alanr
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 am

When the Stromberg head was introduced in 1968 it appears that Lotus decided to make all cars with the bonnet bulge. Subsequently around 1970 Lotus went back to flat bonnets for Non Stromberg cars but it appears that this was extremely ad hoc and they used whatever bonnets were available when building Weber / Dellorto cars, Stromberg cars of course had to have the bulge so they probably made to many bulged bonnets to ensure they did not run out for Stromberg cars and used the excess on the Weber / Dellorto cars Towards the very end of Elan and Plus 2 production in 72/73 when they were not selling into the US, flat bonnets on all the cars appears to have been a more standardized again as they were not making Stromberg headed engines for Elans and Plus 2.

All this is of course complicated by the changing of bonnets / hoods and engine heads over the years since the original production.

Like all things Lotus there are the rules , the exceptions to the rules and the exceptions to the exceptions and so it goes .on and on ......

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:17 pm

As to dealer purchases, you will always pay a premium. In some cases, the premium is warranted, in others, you are paying more for less, dealers have an easier job of cobbling together bits into a temporary car; with houses it is called "flipping". There are a number of dealers in my area this side of the pond who have that reputation. You're not buying a new car in either case and you can't expect the kind of support a new car comes with. If I were to buy from a dealer, it would only be from one who had lots of positive press here.

I would be concerned with the fit of that roof that it would make some very unpleasant noise at speed. If it has issues, it's a bit of work to return to stock. Other than that, looks pretty.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: davie489 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi there

Just a heads up really... I bought my plus 2 from Paul at uksportscars and feel I was miss sold mine. Was meant to be a very good car and ended up with an average car that ended up with an engine that needed a rebuild , also several visits back and forth with him with countless problems

Dave
davie489
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 am

alanr wrote:
JonB wrote:Ah-ha, Orsom, that would explain it; mine's an S130 and my Kinzle is broken.. :(

My 1971 S130 has a Smiths clock which looks original and is also broken!

rgh0 wrote:Like all things Lotus there are the rules , the exceptions to the rules and the exceptions to the exceptions and so it goes .on and on ......

cheers
Rohan

:D :D :D
Orsom Weels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: