Lotus Elan

Does anyone have an opinion on this car

PostPost by: phunter121 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:55 am

Peter Hunter
phunter121
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:09 am

I saw it on Pistonheads a while ago, been around for a bit. I like the colour, but not a fan of the roof. Looks like the head was converted to Weber at some point and the headlining etc looks a bit tatty. Wiring looks a bit exciting :lol: I feel like the price is a little ambitious...
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 am

looks like it has an earlier front end and the sill embellishers look to be rivetted on.
I like the overall appearance
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Chrispy wrote:I saw it on Pistonheads a while ago, been around for a bit. I like the colour, but not a fan of the roof. Looks like the head was converted to Weber at some point and the headlining etc looks a bit tatty. Wiring looks a bit exciting :lol: I feel like the price is a little ambitious...

Why do you say it was converted to Weber.
Lots of 1970 +2S cars had Bonnet with bulge BUT were Weber from new from Factory. :roll: :roll:
I used to have one like that and a friend at the moment also has one Bulge with Webers.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: deryck » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Looks great
was lagoon blue around in 1970?
my favourite colour on an Elan

Paul usually has a good margin in his cars so haggle,
get yourself a bargain,
dont forget a long warranty,

good luck!

best regards,
Deryck.
deryck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:55 pm

The speedo reads 65k not 56k as stated in the advert. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:23 pm

I like the colour, too.

Some pedantry:

Looks like the dashboard instruments are the wrong way round (ambient temperature / engine temperature). Sounds trivial but the ambient temperature dial is not electric, very difficult to remove.. Seems to be working though. Is that Smiths (time telling) clock original? Damage to right hand trim by steering column. Non matching fag lighter, probably not original. Map light doesn't look like it is working. Aftermarket seat belt buckles (which put the buckle at an unfortunate position but make it easier to unbuckle). Tiny Lotus badge by the glove box belongs on one of the rear coat hangers. Engine bay nothing special, check for oil leaks. Rusty demister vents, bit of a bugger to remove.

On the other hand it presents well and has a nice looking interior. Definitely optimistically priced, there are a few decent looking ones on eBay at the moment that you can compare this against.

Test drive it.

:)
1973 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Chassis 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Things I noticed:

Judging from the band holding the two parts together, the brake servo has not been rebuilt (I would have expected this to be done as part of any brakes overhaul).

The VIN plate is on the wrong side.

The choke cable is non-original (C on the knob - the original Ford one is hard to find).

Carbs look to be replacement Weber 40DCOE 151s rather than the original 31s (depending on your point of view a good or a bad thing).
draenog
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:53 pm

JonB wrote:Looks like the dashboard instruments are the wrong way round (ambient temperature / engine temperature). Sounds trivial but the ambient temperature dial is not electric, very difficult to remove.. Seems to be working though. Is that Smiths (time telling) clock original?

:)

Actually all the gauges are correct, & correctly positioned, for a +2S, the ammeter was changed for a volt meter, the Smiths clock changed for a Kinzle & the positions were changed with the introduction of the S130. :)
Orsom Weels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Ah-ha, Orsom, that would explain it; mine's an S130 and my Kinzle is broken.. :(
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phunter121 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Thank you for all your input on this.

The seller has confirmed the engine has been replaced and converted to 'big valve'. All the work is photographed.

I wondered what is the general consensus on replacement engines?

i.e.
Is it really common place and has little impact on value.
Is it rare to find a car with the original engine.
Should it be avoided as it affect value significantly or ability to sell in the future.
Peter Hunter
phunter121
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi Peter

I think what you are really asking is "Is it worth £25k?" and if so, my reply would be "not really", for the reasons given above. If you are worried about losing money when reselling it, perhaps a classic car bought from a dealer isn't for you. Look for a private sale. I think this car might be worth £16k.

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phunter121 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:28 pm

I have to say, I'd rather buy privately.....especially from an enthusiast.
Peter Hunter
phunter121
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:19 pm

For sale, +2S 190/5 probably the best developed Elan +2 in the world, correct ride height, spotless Royal Blue paintwork,biscuit leather interior 0-60 in a genuine 6 seconds, top speed 135mph+ Wants for nothing

Call Alan for details ...... Actually not for sale..... the first paragraph made me change my mind :D

Seriously, +2’s are very nice cars to drive please do try to drive a few before you make your mind up on which to buy, you will instantly know if you have found a good one,
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:00 pm

alan.barker wrote:Why do you say it was converted to Weber.
Lots of 1970 +2S cars had Bonnet with bulge BUT were Weber from new from Factory. :roll: :roll:
I used to have one like that and a friend at the moment also has one Bulge with Webers.
Alan

Interesting, I thought the Stromberg's were from ~70 onwards? I've got the bulge on my early weber car, but it looks to be a replacement.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: