Lotus Elan

Original Elite - what's the catch?

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Spyder fan wrote:EDIT.... still for sale on their scam website

This listing seems to have been taken down shortly after your post!

I can't resist my anorak tendencies. Elite 1176 appears to have been sold initially to the US. The Lotus invoicing record shows 1176 being invoiced to Jay Chamberlain, the US importer at the time, on 8 March 1960. The invoice record shows the engine as #7665, probably a simple transcription error resulted in the #4665 in the PR Automotive advertisement. I have not found the full ownership record however the April 2014 issue of the Club Elite (US) e-newsletter has a posting from Bill Putman offering 1176 for sale. In his posting Bill says he purchased 1176 from Guy Larkins of Memphis, Tennessee in 2003. Bill kept 1176 in his private museum, correctly recalled as "Toad Hall" by kpcseven. The next issue of the Club Elite e-newsletter, July 2014, shows 1176 having been purchased by Roy McClusky. There are no more recent notes about 1176 in the Club Elite e-newsletter. The Club Elite (UK) ownership booklet shows R. McClusky as the owner in the 2016 issue. Perhaps it is he who sold 1176 through PR Automotive.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:10 am

Perhaps someone on here clicked and purchased it to see what would happen? :D

It's now back up if anyone wants to play

https://www.salvag-ecars.eu/1961_Lotus_ ... 15599.aspx

scam-website.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:11 pm

I can't see the ad on U.S. eBay; it appears to have been taken down.
I cannot comment on the price, as I haven't seen it, but an completely unrestored Elite with all the paint removed from the body, was recently offered in the U.S. Club Elite newsletter for $50,000, while a fully restored Elite in the same issue was at $100,000. Now what the sale prices might have been I don't know.
With so few Elites having been built, and about 700 of the 1000 have been accounted for; it is not too easy to sneak a deal past those interested in the car. With all the parts now available, I expect, someday, that the last 300 will appear; even those that burnt to the ground or got run over by a steam roller. :lol:
Tim McCoy
'61 Elite 1865
'63 Elan
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Lotus14S2 wrote:I can't see the ad on U.S. eBay; it appears to have been taken down.
I cannot comment on the price, as I haven't seen it, but an completely unrestored Elite with all the paint removed from the body, was recently offered in the U.S. Club Elite newsletter for $50,000, while a fully restored Elite in the same issue was at $100,000. Now what the sale prices might have been I don't know.
With so few Elites having been built, and about 700 of the 1000 have been accounted for; it is not too easy to sneak a deal past those interested in the car. With all the parts now available, I expect, someday, that the last 300 will appear; even those that burnt to the ground or got run over by a steam roller. :lol:
Tim McCoy
'61 Elite 1865
'63 Elan

Funny, your '61 Elite is 1865 and my April '62 is number 1575 - the numbers were seriously out of sequence.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:40 pm

It’s no longer on EBay, but is on their website as per my post above. An Elite (type 14) even one needing a lot of work is unlikely to sell for less than £50’000 GB pounds these days, 60-80k is more realistic.

I enjoyed reading the reassuring statement on the website, the grammar mistakes point towards someone who doesn’t have English as their first language.

HOW IT WORK
Seamless and straightforward car buying
We want you to enjoy buying your car through Raw Car Sales LTD as much as you’ll enjoy driving it. Our commitment is to provide an effortless experience from start to finish.

5 easy steps

1. Find the vehicle you love online
Wherever you are, you're in the driving seat. Everything you need to know is at your fingertips, and we're on hand if you have any questions, throughout the process.
2. Reserve today and decide how you'd like to pay
Reserve your vehicle with a £2000 - £8000 deposit. This is fully refundable but just makes sure the car is now yours. Pay the rest when you remove the car from the owner yard.

3. We'll start making the arrangements with the owner
Your vehicle will now go through our meticulous inspection and preparation process to make sure all the cars documents are prepared.

4. You come and remove the vehicle
The handover typically lasts around 30 minutes but take as long as you need to have a good look around, ask any questions and take it for a test drive or mechanical inspection. Once you're happy we'll arrange remaining payment and paperwork.

5. Removal and 7-day money bank quarantee
We want to make sure you love your new vehicle. Our 7-day money back guarantee means that if you change your mind for any reason, we'll collect the vehicle ar and give you a full refund including your deposit.

The entire amount will remain in Raw Car Sales LTD custody until the 7-day test period end, then we will pay the owner.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Brian
64 S2 Roadster
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Lovely cars, to be sure. Have a real '60s look about them, but I think I'll stick with my Plus 2. I could buy 5 of them for that kind of money...
1973 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Chassis 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 am

There's a concours XK120 for £18k as well
This is your chance to build a stable of classic cars for next to nothing!
I may ring and ask for a viewing offering cash on sight just to see the response!
MarkDa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Are there no law's or people to enforce them anymore???? :(

Kurt
nomad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 am

We'll I rang the number - which doesn't work!
And sent an email asking for a viewing - which hasn't been answered!

Only thing left is to visit - the address seems to exist. but as I'm not local I'm not going to waste my time!
MarkDa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: