Lotus Elan

+2 Spydercars Zetec

PostPost by: Thornts » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi all.
After some recent discussion as to the value of modified cars against standard machines, the financial sense of removing non-standard goodies before sale and so on, this might give people a bit of a pointer:

https://www.berlinetta-auctions.co.uk/w ... an-2-zetec

Full disclosure, Berlinetta is our company though I lurk here continually, have an S3 myself and post now and again. If the bidding increases from where we are now a contribution to lotuselan.net will ensue. What I would point out is that this is a real sale, the owner's reserve has been met so we will not just be looking at a seller's asking price but a realistic market valuation - for this car, on the day of course.
Home assembled (with a bit of professional help) from a kit of Spydercars components, it is a nice car with room for some improvements particularly to the interior.
We will see in the next 30 hours or so...
Best wishes to all

Rob
S3 SE FHC
S2 7
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:38 pm

If modifying a classic car and especially a Lotus keeps it on the road I am always for it.

Some will pay less for a well modified car, others, like me, will pay more. assuming the modification has been well engineered.

I am not a purist - cars are meant to be driven.
Slowtus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Same old argument....... Is it still a Lotus Elan +2? or a car that looks like one? for me if you change everything bar the Body it becomes a modern interpretation of a Classic car, thats fine and there is always going to be some one that wants it to look like a Lotus elan but with none of the down sides of owning an old car.

As for value....... a really nice modified elan will go for none Purist money (obvious when you think about it) it's only when an owner who has fresh rebuilt modified car expects freshly rebuilt purist money for it there becomes a problem.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Well this white +2 Zetec went under the hammer for £19,500. Not a bad price either way, lets hope the new owner enjoys it this year :-)
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: roblotus79 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Was it Lot 50 on purpose....... :)
50/2180 1969 Elan Plus 2
1990 Esprit Turbo SE
1986 Carrera 3.2
1982 Turbo Esprit - SOLD
1970 Europa S2 - SOLD
roblotus79
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:47 am

Rob P wrote:Well this white +2 Zetec went under the hammer for £19,500. Not a bad price either way, lets hope the new owner enjoys it this year :-)

Knowing what I do now, I'd consider that a pretty good price as looks to be a fairly well sorted car. You can see how much money's been poured into it - suspension, shockers, CV jointed, Jenvey throttle bodies, the full works. Lots and lots of cash. It does appear to have a coolant leak, though. There's drops of red liquid hanging off the N'S front suspension arms and steering rack gaiter. Not a big deal.

Let's hope the new owner pops up on here soon.
1973 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Chassis 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TAS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:18 am

JonB wrote:
Rob P wrote:Well this white +2 Zetec went under the hammer for £19,500. Not a bad price either way, lets hope the new owner enjoys it this year :-)

Knowing what I do now, I'd consider that a pretty good price as looks to be a fairly well sorted car. You can see how much money's been poured into it - suspension, shockers, CV jointed, Jenvey throttle bodies, the full works. Lots and lots of cash. It does appear to have a coolant leak, though. There's drops of red liquid hanging off the N'S front suspension arms and steering rack gaiter. Not a big deal.

Let's hope the new owner pops up on here soon.

That would be me! the car is being delivered today so I will be back with loads of questions :) . It needs carpets and the windows aren't working but as you say, it's had a fortune spent on building it, huge bills for Spyder parts. I couldn't have a built a car to this spec for what I've paid.

Tim
TAS
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Yes, TAS, and C O N T A C T is made... really looking forward to seeing it.
1973 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Chassis 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: