Misconceptions of zetec and other engine modded cars

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:37 am

TerryP just described my +2 as a Mondeo with a different body shell. This was said in jest and no offence was intended or has been taken, although there is a certain underlying sentiment involved with this sort of comment which I can understand but would like to put an enthusiast?s spin on.
My car started out as a +2S with the SE spec twincam engine and was absolutely totally bog standard, it was great but was a bit tired and needed a complete and thorough overhaul of the major mechanical components, I spent in excess of ?10,000 getting the car up to standard and very nice it looked and very nice it went. I used the car for a couple of years in this fashion and enjoyed the experience. I then started to look for another car, I was bored with the +2 although I still loved it, maybe a new Porsche or an Evo7 would get me back on track for my mid life crisis. I have a few friends in the motor industry therefore I was able to get extended weekend test drives in all the male fantasy cars within my budget. I love Porkers and I could just stretch to the entry model 911 or a fully tricked out Cayman S, so I brought these cars home one by one for road testing and spouse approval. The conclusion was that Porsches are 2 a penny in Tunbridge Wells and surrounding area and that other road users treat you like the middle aged git that you probably are; I drove a BMW M3 for a week, never again, I just didn?t feel special and nor did the car. So I looked at modern Lotus cars (the Evora was still on the drawing board) and was appalled at the noise and lack of comfort in an Elise111R or Exige, although the handling and power were great apart from having to wring the engines neck; hence the noise.
So; what could I do, I had a car sitting in the garage that I loved but didn?t quite hit the mark on the power side, although the handling was fine. I was bored and wanted to change to something else but I had hit the wall in my expectations versus reality department. What I really wanted was a +2 that went a lot faster but I didn?t want to lose the character of the car. My business was keeping me tied to a desk so there was no chance of a home brew special and I knew that if I was going to spend money it would need to be on something that had been tried and tested. I had heard of Spyder and their zetec conversions, and although they weren?t the first company to plonk a zetec in an Elan they seemed to be the only company that had paid attention to details such as making it sound like a Lotus twincam and have the same driving character as well as making the engine installation look as though it was actually meant to be there. I went to have a test drive, although Andy Widnall made sure I wasn?t a muppet first by insisting that I take him for a fast drive around the Fens in my own car, before letting me loose in his own demonstrator. I turned the key in the ignition and the zetec grumbled into life sounding exactly the same as a nicely tuned Lotus twincam. Pulling away; the gearbox felt odd and slightly vague compared to a 4 speed bullet box, but soon made its ease of use known allowing snickety snick changes once the initial oddness of feeling the stick seem to twist slightly between 2nd and 3rd had been overcome. At this point I was trying to tell the difference between original and modified and frankly there was nothing apart from the gearbox, and the handbrake was on the transmission tunnel rather than under the dashboard. The gearlever had a slight vibration and minute amount of sizzling, the exhaust popped and crackled on the overrun, you could feel harmonic vibrations from the engine and the induction noise sounded like there were some very fruity Italian side draft carburettor?s lurking under the bonnet. In all it was a very familiar experience and almost disappointing until we got to an arrow straight piece of Fenland road where I was able to dispense with the two lumbering trucks travelling in convoy that we had been following for the past mile or so; Andy said ?leave it in fourth and floor it?, the old girl lifted her skirts from 2500rpm and span quickly to nearly 5000rpm by which time we were doing an indicated 85mph and we were safely past both trucks, no stress , no drama and the Porsche 911 I had borrowed in the previous weeks couldn?t have done it any quicker or easier. Then we came to some challenging and twisty corners and there was hardly any need to scrub off speed, the car being so surefooted.
Well, I was sold on the idea from that point on; here was a car that satisfied my need for an exclusive toy whilst still being much admired as a classic. Most people don?t know it?s an oldie with new bits including most of the paddock at Castle Combe this year, the only outward signs are the bolt on wheels. Some people will never be convinced that this conversion is appropriate, but I think that quite a few of you who bother to read through this little blog of mine will be intrigued now, more so if you had considered the idea but maybe dismissed it as a mod too far.

Regards to all, and keep driving or re-building your Elan?s regardless of whether they are original or modified, they don?t make them any more (apart from 26R?s :wink: )
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 am

Well done Alan, I think the most positive thing is that you are out driving it rather than letting it sit in the garage! Enjoy.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes , sorry to have a Pop but I can see similarities ......... :wink:

All the best :D :lol:

Terry
Attachments
Mondeo.jpg
Mondeo.jpg (27.34 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Terry,
That's funny, yours reminds me of a skip for some reason, must be the non standard roof arrangement.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Alan,

I think its a sound move,Its the shape that most people see and admire.Who cares whats under the skin,How many engines have been fitted to the Elise?

Paul,

And yes,I do have a Spyder Chassis in the garage.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: