1967 Lake Tahoe Grand Prix

PostPost by: Tahoe » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:46 pm

ProgramCover-TA67.jpg and
I was at the Motorsports Reunion at Laguna Seca last weekend and I was camping at the track. A fellow camper came over to talk to me about my '59 Airstream and we ended up talking for some time about racing back in the day. He asked me if I knew anything about the Grand Prix held in Lake Tahoe in 1967. I had never heard of it so I id some research when I got home. It turns out a Lotus 41 won the race and get this, the course was less than a half mile from my house! I was able to find the course map and drove the 2 mile circuit yesterday. Has anyone hear ever heard of this race or know anything more about it?

http://www.oldracingcars.com/results/result.php?RaceID=TA67

Check out the prizes and notice the Lotus 22 with an Oldsmobile engine.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:48 am

Hello Russ,

That poster and the results sheet are amazing! Some of the drivers are still around, racing vintage or involved in the SF Region of SCCA.

Mike Hiss was later Rookie of the Year at Indy finishing 7th in 1972.
Stephen Griswold later raced in IMSA, sharing a Porsche 911 RSR with Bob Akin
Joe Alves lives south of the Tahoe area and races a Lola 242 in vintage formula Ford.
Larry Albedi raced until about 1998, owned a successful new car dealership in Vallejo, CA and served as steward, specialty chief, and announcer for the SF region races.
Steve Pfeifer formed Pfeifer Ridge Racing and supported Formula Ford until he retired about 10 years ago.
Frank Monise formed Frank Monise Motors, imported and sold Lotus race cars. He raced the first production Lotus 23 which is now owned by Mike Summers of Sacramento. His son now runs the family business.

Thanks for Posting Russ! Perhaps we should do a tour of the circuit and do laps?

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Dan,

I contacted the Tahoe Tribune yesterday to check there archives. They have original papers back to '64 so I'm going down today or tomorrow to check the papers around that timeframe. I've also left a phone message to the Tahoe Optimist club who originally sponsored the event, but haven't heard back yet. It's amazing that the course is less than a half mile from house and I could only imagine driving the streets at speed while driving in my Elan.

I think I'll try and track down some of those people to see if they have any info on the races. I feel obligated to research this and find as much history on the event as I can because I live close to where it happened, and I have a feeling it will just get forgotten completely in the future.

So is anyone up for closing down the streets and going a few laps? Too bad we couldn't use it for the West Coast Lotus Meet track day!

Edit: I've found pictures and articles from many different dates in the Tahoe Tribune. I've also contacted many locals, but no luck so far on anyone who has ever heard of it. I plan on organizing what I find, and building a crude website to show my findings, even if limited in scope. Maybe in the future someone might find the info informative. I have raised a few eyebrows so far so maybe those people I've contacted will eventually find a program, poster, etc. I've also contacted the San Francisco SCCA to see if they have any archival info.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: racing436 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi, we own that very poster. we inherited it from a gentleman that use to race in the 60's. I also have a few programmes from other races too.

We are hoping to come and visit the lake in august when we come to america.
racing436
New-tral

PostPost by: Tahoe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:09 am

racing436 wrote:Hi, we own that very poster. we inherited it from a gentleman that use to race in the 60's. I also have a few programmes from other races too.

We are hoping to come and visit the lake in august when we come to america.

That's incredible! I haven't been able to find that poster anywhere. Please contact me. I would pay to have a copies made of it and shipped to me.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:49 am

Hello Russ,

Have you tried contacting Gary Horstkorta? He is the historian/archivist for the San Francisco Region of the SCCA. You can find some of his work on the Classic Sports Racing Group web page and on the SF Region Wheel monthly region magazine. You can contact him via the email link on this page:
http://www.sfrscca.org/content/view/8947

I may have a chance to see him this weekend at Thunderhill.

Regards,
Dan
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:16 pm

StressCraxx wrote:Hello Russ,

Have you tried contacting Gary Horstkorta? He is the historian/archivist for the San Francisco Region of the SCCA. You can find some of his work on the Classic Sports Racing Group web page and on the SF Region Wheel monthly region magazine. You can contact him via the email link on this page:
http://www.sfrscca.org/content/view/8947

I may have a chance to see him this weekend at Thunderhill.

Regards,
Dan

Dan,

Yes I have contacted Gary. He was possibly going to get one of the posters, but not sure he ever did.He had some good info he sent me last year as well. I need to get back on this, but have been busier than usual lately. If you run into him let him know I haven't given up but have been busy.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob Jackson » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:14 am

tahoe-gp-lotus22-001.jpg and
I was checking the date of the Tahoe Grand Prix and surfed into this commentary. I ran my Lotus 22 in that race. A friend took quite a few slides that I have scanned. I joined this site so that I could contact you as I think you would be interested in the pictures. My name is Rob Jackson and I ran #18. If you send an email address I can forward them.
Last edited by Rob Jackson on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Jackson
New-tral

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:50 pm

In Field of Dreams they say, "Build it and they will come" but in this case Track of Dreams, "Organize it and they will come"
Great idea for a Lotus West event. I know 2 guys with elan's that would love to attend

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Make that three.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stephen griswold » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm

I was there. I attach a picture.

Cheers from Italy, Stephen Griswold
Attachments
1967tahoe.jpg and
Me on my way to 4th OA in my Le Grand Alfa GTA
stephen griswold
New-tral

Total Online: