CTEK trickle charger

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:00 pm

Hi there,
I don't use my Sprint very often so, whilst it sits in the garage, I use a CTEK trickle charger with the battery earth lead disconnected. CTEK state that the unit has an overcharge prevention circuit so, in theory, I needn't disconnect the battery.
Interested in the collective wisdom of this forum - should I disconnect the battery or not?

Thanks

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 pm

I've used CTEK chargers on a couple of my cars over winter, without disconnecting the battery, I have not had a problem.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Don't disconnect the battery... That's belt & braces
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sprinter55 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:47 pm

No need to disconnect the battery & attatching the fly-lead to the battery terminals makes battery connection & disconnection to the CTEK unit very quick & simple !
sprinter55
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:47 am

Head somewhere that some folk make up a lead which plugs into the cigar lighter socket - seems like a neat solution.

I use a CTEK and they're excelllent. I also have a fly lead with connector permanently in the boot - plug and play :D
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:54 pm

Another plus one for the CTEK. However, I have a battery disconnect switch and use it every time I park the car.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:05 pm

prezoom wrote:Another plus one for the CTEK. However, I have a battery disconnect switch and use it every time I park the car.

Rob Walker
26-4889

I do the same as this and also have the permanent fitted plug n play a la jono above. Never had an issue. I always switch off the battery connection switch thingie and plug in the CTEK. then leave well alone till next time..

Alex B
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Have just ordered an Odyssey battery and need something like the CTEK charger, on looking at their site there seems to be quite a few different models available. Which one is the one to buy?
Thanks
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 pm

Ian,
I have an msx 3.6 and with an Odyssey battery and you use it on the winter setting.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Ian, it depends on what you want with the charger.

I purchased an XS 4003 model (now replaced with new models) this has 8 charging steps.
This one being a higher spec and higher price. As best as I can make out this would now be the MXS 5.0. as this also has 8 charging steps.

Club Lotus have member offers and have selected the models XS 0.8 (6 charging steps) and XS 3.8 (7 charging steps), so that suggests a selection from either of these 2 chargers.
But although they state a member discount of 10 %, it is cheaper to buy direct online from:-

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs5.0.php

i.e. For the XS 3.8 from Club Lotus with delivery = ?62.96, direct from Ctek = ?52.99 which has free delivery. :o

But also do a search as they can also be bought for better prices.

Trust this helps.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:21 pm

Thanks guys,
I'll do a bit of Googling and see what I can find.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: therolfie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:53 pm

A bit late, but thumbs up for Ctek chargers. I have 2 & we use them on all our cars swapping using the comfort kit/lead. When we go camping we plug in a female power socket to charge the phones etc kit from ctek again, nice product, well made & good range. My brother also uses one non his R32. Cheers
White +2s, S4 in bits & the practical Honda!
therolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:00 am

I understand the Odyssey battery needs charging a certain way, if left on a trickle charge it can get hot and the plates inside expand causing the case to split. This also invalidates any guarantee which is not good news when you've paid ?90.
I read you need a charger that will charge quicker and then shut down which avoids excess heat internally. I'm sure someone on the forum will give us chapter and verse on the correct way to charge an Odyssey battery.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:58 pm

I think the Odyssey manuals are confusing on the matter of charging, there's almost too much information. Odyssey definitely sells a charger that has a trickle phase. But then it also describes one of the main benefits of the batteries being that they hold their charge for a long time (1-2 years) so don't need a trickle charge.

Anyway, I don't trickle charge mine, I simply leave it alone. Last Winter it got no charging for 4 months but was used every week or so to quickly check the electrical circuits - lights, fan, windows, etc. It held up fine and started the car unaided in Spring.

I was further put off the idea of long term unattended trickle charging after recently hearing a story of a battery that was on a charger catching fire resulting in the burning down of an entire garage. I'll take attended full charging of a flat battery over that!

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: