Delamare Road yesterday and nearly fifty years ago

PostPost by: reb53 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 am

Coupe wrote:Panic not. I've heard back from the developer who has stated ' we would expect that development would take place where these buildings are located in around 5-6 years or so from now'

Not wanting to be nominated "Pedant of the Month", but that could mean the buildings are bowled next month, but actual re-building is still some years away.
As in, when we're well cashed up from the development we're currently involved in, but we'll get the demolition done as quickly as possible so it's a fait accompli, no going back, no arguments from "heritage" people.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:14 am

Well you have a point, but let's just hope this does not happen. I'd really like to visit the old place one more time before it finally disappears - hoping to make it summer time this year (if I can afford the taxi !)
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Maureen B-N wrote:Well you have a point, but let's just hope this does not happen. I'd really like to visit the old place one more time before it finally disappears - hoping to make it summer time this year (if I can afford the taxi !)

I think it is but a short walk from the rail station, and you do pass a pub.

:D
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:54 pm

reb53 wrote:
Coupe wrote:Panic not. I've heard back from the developer who has stated ' we would expect that development would take place where these buildings are located in around 5-6 years or so from now'

Not wanting to be nominated "Pedant of the Month", but that could mean the buildings are bowled next month, but actual re-building is still some years away.
As in, when we're well cashed up from the development we're currently involved in, but we'll get the demolition done as quickly as possible so it's a fait accompli, no going back, no arguments from "heritage" people.

As Tesco Head Office is on Delamere Road and also many other businesses need relocating I think it will be sometime before the bulldozers move in.
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:50 pm

I think Tesco?s have vacated their monstrosity- which was one of the drivers for the regeneration- but it is s big beast so will take a little while to come down.

I wonder how much asbestos is in all those units ??
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:14 am

Billwill - it is a very short walk, I know, I used to do it every weekday when I worked at Lotus. I lived in Harlow and used to get a train to Cheshunt station and then walk. And one does indeed pass a pub !!

However, I shall not be in Harlow, I shall be in Bedford, so it's quite a long journey. Still thinking about it though.
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:53 am

Hi Maureen

I was at the site on the day the plaque was unveiled and would like another visit before it is redeveloped. Perhaps we should organise a Lotuselan.net mini group tour and we could end up in the pub they all used to frequent which is just up the road. If I am around ( not on holiday) when you are here in the UK, I would be glad to pick you up from Bedford & take you there....if anyone else would like to meet us there then please say so on here & we will arrange a mini visit? When are you thinking of coming exactly?

All the best

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:58 am

I would love to see a group picture, maybe with names attached.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 am

I was there also when the plaque was unveiled and I was discussing this with long time Lotus employee at Cheshunt and Hethel Warren King who is still adamant that the plaque is on the wrong building. He stated in 1965 the 'Monster Gym' building was mainly Lotus Components for the assembly of the Lotus Sevens. The Indy 500 car team which is what the plaque is celebrating were based in the rear of the main building.

I'm also working on a Lotus Heritage Day with a meet at Cheshunt and then a cross country drive up to finish at Hethel which Clive Chapman has asked to be kept informed about.
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 am

Hi Adam - that's a really wonderful idea - thank you so much. I accept ! I do not know my exact dates yet, but it will be June/July/August, somewhere it that period. I am waiting for my late husband's estate to be finally wound up before I book my ticket, but things are going very slowly and I am going to have to decide on my dates soon whether everything is settled or not. I'm sure we could work something out on the dates to accommodate your holiday and my visit. You have made my day - thank you so much. You were also there when the plaque was unveiled - so I must have a picture of you somewhere. Same for Coupe (what is your name Coupe ?).

And Coupe I tend to agree with Warren King on the site of the plaque. To the best of my memory that building front where the plaque is, that was Lotus Components. I remember one of the guys who worked there had an e-type Jag I got to ride in (once !). I remember walking down from Developments, which was right at the back behind the ramp, to get off the premises onto Delamare Road to walk to the station to go home and Team Lotus was on my right as I walked down towards the road, further back. But it is a long time ago. Nevertheless Warren King I am sure remembers exactly where everything was.

Sounds like a plan developing here - let's do it !

Cheers, M
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:45 am

Hi Maureen

Ok, sounds good to me. You arrange when you can come, a Saturday or a Sunday for our visit is best for me. let us all know on this forum and then we will try for a group meet-up to see the site for probably the last time ( for us, anyway). Then we can all perhaps visit the pub or as Coupe says, perhaps drive to Hornsey &/or finish at Hethel. I am sure there are many of us who would love to hear the odd story of what it was like to work for Lotus at such an exciting time in its history. If we all started early enough, maybe finish at Classic Team Lotus....I for one would like to see their new building.......

Anyway, take care, find a date when you can visit and we will all work around you. Good luck with sorting all of your husband's estate out, I know that cannot be easy but all the best with that & I'm sorry for your loss!
A bit nearer the time I will PM you my contact details.

Keep in touch.

Adam
Last edited by Pastapesto on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:58 am

Hi Adam

I was busy posting a reply and uploading the picture and I lost everything. Sorry, starting again ! Was saying that your suggestions all sound great. I worked at the Hethel site for about 3-months handing over to my replacement, and left at the same time that Ron Hickman left. I'm sure I would not recognise the place now !

If it is any easier to keep in touch my email is xxxxx Will private message you ! . I can certainly do a Saturday or a Sunday, any day of the week is fine by me. So we will set a date as soon as I have some more definite information and see who we can get to come along. Can keep you entertained with a few stories from the old days !

I am going to post this before I lose it again. Then I will try to upload the picture again. Would be interested to know if you are in it - obviously I am.

Thanks for your kind comments re the estate. It is a total mess, unfortunately, and the lawyer appointed to do the job seems to have disappeared in a puff of smoke. I suppose at the end of the day everything will be settled, but it is frustrating.

Chat soon. Cheers, Maureen
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:01 am

Hi Adam - I have removed my email address from my latest comment to you. I have tried to send it in a private message, but I am not sure I got it right.

Can you please let me know if you received the private message. Thanks. Or perhaps you would send me one that I could respond to, if you know how it works (bet you do !).

Off to the gym. Catch you later.
Cheers, M
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:38 am

Good call Adam well done, it worried me to.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Looks like demolition has started at Delamare road; These pictures have been posted in the Lotus Elite discussion group:
Cheshunt_demolition1.png and

Cheshunt_demolition2.jpeg and

Cheshunt_demolition3.jpeg and

Cheshunt_demolition4.jpeg and

Cheshunt_demolition5.jpeg and

Time to grab a brick!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext