Donington Collection to close

PostPost by: Davidb » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:39 am

For Immediate Release: October 10, 2018

WORLD?S LARGEST GRAND PRIX RACING CAR MUSEUM

TO CLOSE ON NOVEMBER 5

News is released today of the Donington Collection museum?s imminent closure. Its doors will close to the public for the final time on November 5 this year, after 45 years as an absolutely must-see Mecca for motor racing enthusiasts worldwide?

Situated at the Donington Park motor racing circuit on the Leicestershire/Derbyshire border, the Donington Collection Museum has housed the World?s largest display of purebred Grand Prix racing cars, including many rated as being amongst the most historically and financially valuable of their kind.

The Museum ? full title ?The Donington Collection of Single-Seater Racing Cars? ? was the brainchild of Leicester-based builder Frederick Bernard ?Tom? Wheatcroft.

A lifelong motor sports enthusiast he had first visited Donington Park in 1935 to watch motor-cycle racing on the British mainland?s very first true road-racing circuit. He would recall: ?From then on I was a confirmed enthusiast. I saw most of the bike and car meetings that followed, and in 1937 and 1938 I was hanging on the fence with the best of them, watching those giant German cars running in the Donington Grand Prix?. Those two sensational races were the pre-war equivalent of today?s British Grand Prix.

After six years of wartime Army service Tom Wheatcroft launched his building business in 1946. It thrived, making him a wealthy man. In 1964 he bought a 13-year-old Formula 1 Ferrari single-seater racing car ?just for fun ? and I caught the collecting bug?. Over the following six years he acquired more historic Formula 1 machines, observing sagely ?There?s nought so cheap as last year?s racing car?.

Initially the cars were housed in a cramped garage building at his Leicester home. But in September, 1971, he bought the circuit section of Donington Park from its long-time owners, the Gillies Shields family. His long-term plan was to restore the old circuit ? unused since 1939 - for modern racing, but first he built the museum there to house his fabulous fleet of purebred competition cars.

Tom Wheatcroft opened the Museum on March 16, 1973. Core of the display were three groups of the racing world?s rarest and most valuable treasures; the BRM group preserving ?British Racing Motor? team cars including the legendary 1950-55 V16-cylinder design with Rolls-Royce supercharging ? the Vanwall group of cars which won Britain?s first Formula 1 Constructors? World Championship title in 1958 ? and a stunning group of such truly Historic cars as the Ferrari in which the sport?s first double-World Champion Alberto Ascari scored the majority of his 11 title-qualifying Grand Prix wins through 1952-53, the Lotus 18 which Stirling Moss drove to win both the 1961 Monaco and German GPs against vastly superior opposition ? and the very first Formula 1 car built and raced by triple-World Champion Driver, Jack Brabham.

With these core cars backed by many more of the World?s finest designs, including dozens loaned to the Collection by such leading still-active teams as Mercedes-Benz, McLaren, Williams and many more, The Donington Collection became an absolute magnet for a global audience. Over its 45 year career more than 2.5-million visitors have viewed its treasures.

Since Tom Wheatcroft passed away in October, 2009, the Museum has been run by his son Kevin. Today Kevin Wheatcroft says: ?Closing the Museum after 45 years has been a really difficult decision, but family responsibilities simply make it the right thing to do??

Further details will be released shortly.

ENDS
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 am

Any idea when it will close? I might visit in December if it's still open.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:00 am

Is the BRM Elan still displayed there ?
Attachments
038-small.jpg and
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 am

WORLD?S LARGEST GRAND PRIX RACING CAR MUSEUM

TO CLOSE ON NOVEMBER 5
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 am

elanfan1 wrote:WORLD?S LARGEST GRAND PRIX RACING CAR MUSEUM

TO CLOSE ON NOVEMBER 5

Reading Comprehension is not one of my skills!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 am

It's a shame but since the passing of Tom Wheatcroft in 2009 the museum has slowly got run down and filled with military vehicles etc which is a shame.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:10 pm

I was there in 1990. A very special treat, not quite so much so as the Schlumph collection, but still not to be missed. I still have a couple of the trinkets I bought at the gift shop.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Coupe wrote:Is the BRM Elan still displayed there ?

It was earlier this year (April). It was pretty much only a half day visit so hopefully will be picked up and added to another collection.
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:09 pm

BRM Elan is an independent privately owned exhibit.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveh » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Sad to hear about the museum closure , i've done several visits over the years although its best collection was probably 10+ years ago ,
Attachments
img_1999.jpg and
img_1997.jpg and
50/0024
steveh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Must admit the David Purley car amazes me every time i see it..... Seem to remember a couple of Jim Clark cars in there too.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: