DVLA

PostPost by: Type28 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Its official I hate the DVLA (sorry this won?t mean much too non UK residents, but we all suffer government bureaucracy of some kind in our life so you can sympathize!).
Why did they shut down the local DVLA offices and direct everything through Swansea..?
I still have not been able to register my Elan that I re-imported after it was exported in 1990 to USA.
Firstly my application was returned because I didn?t include a cheque for the road tax. I tried to contact the author of the letter to inform them that a car constructed in 1972 was classed as Historic and was therefore zero rated for tax. Should I have to tell the DVLA that? Any way I wasn?t allowed to speak to the author of the letter but was asked to write and explain, sending all the documentation back to them. Did this 18 days ago still herd nothing- phoned them again and they had no record on their computer of receiving anything!-luckily I sent letter signed for mail (cost ?6.80), they have acknowledged that it was received (had to check another computer system) and that they would try and find it and get back to me in a week or so...
Got that of my chest :lol:
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Yep, been through all that....feeling your pain :?
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:16 pm

Me too! It took over 6 months to register my S2 despite having acknowledgement letter within 3 days of the original application. Denied ever receiving anything and then admitting they lost it all. :evil: Unbelievably poor service.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Hah, you have to 'understand' beaurocracy; you should have included a cheque for ?0.00 the first time.

Junior checkers need the bits of paper you see.

Then when it has passed the checker, the action-man will wonder why it it is ?0.00 and will look up the regulation and find the exemption.

~~~~~~

Well that's my theory anyway :D

In the past when I got pissed off at people not doing things, I used to send them an INVOICE for my wasted time. An invoice, being a legal document, has to be passed up the chain until it reaches someone who can pay it or call/write you to negotiate.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:34 pm

billwill wrote:In the past when I got pissed off at people not doing things, I used to send them an INVOICE for my wasted time. An invoice, being a legal document, has to be passed up the chain until it reaches someone who can pay it or call/write you to negotiate.

:D hey, now I really like that one ! I must remember it for my next "Meldrew moment".

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Geoffers71 wrote:Me too! It took over 6 months to register my S2 despite having acknowledgement letter within 3 days of the original application. Denied ever receiving anything and then admitting they lost it all. :evil: Unbelievably poor service.

That's a great result, Geoff. I tried to register EOK when I first bought it and they wrote back saying that they had no record of the car (despite my sending them a copy of the V5) and it would have to have an MOT then be inspected before they could register it. And that was a few years back, when we still had regional offices!

Last year I bought a classic Honda bike from Belfast, and wanted to keep the original Northern Ireland registration. That took 9 months to get sorted! I did find a way of emailing them directly, and that really helped.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Mark, Yes it was difficult and even when they finally, after 6 months, sent the new V5 they had it down as colour black and asked for ?260 for the VED !! despite me clearly saying the colour was white and stating Historic Vehicle on the application form. Another blast from me down the phone and the correct V5 arrived within a week. :roll:
Incompetent dimwits I think I called them ! :lol: :lol:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: