Snake oil again

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 pm

On Lotus Elan net we are blessed to have many knowledgeable and expert members past and present. For instance John Pelly (Grumpy Bodger) designed cooling systems amongst other things for BMW at his place of work in Dachau Germany. He was always scathing of so called wonder additives that promised to " wet your water" to make your cooling system work better, Evans Waterless Coolant or similar products received his undiluted contempt.

Recently I have noticed adverts in the major magazines for what used to be marketed as "fuel catalysts" along with all the pseudo science associated with the purveyors of "Doctor Cockings amazing solution most efficacious in every case" 8)

Please discuss and give arguments for both sides

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Paul Calf says "bag 'o' sh1te" :D
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:18 pm

There can be some basis for consideration.

https://www.broquet.com/history

I have personally had interesting results on certain engine using similar devices. Some seem to work, some don't.

This particular product may be similar or it may not. Suspiciously it's description is pure pseudo science B.S. and gives no details.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:24 pm

I cant see how it works.

My reasoning,

A modern efi has injectors that open and close at a pre set time for a pre set duration at a preset pressure. Thus they are controlled, wide band 02 sensors may change this but very little.

Carbs work on the demand of airflow through the venturi and is metered by jets. Again, its a controlled environment.

So how can putting a miracle cure additive in do anything? Diesel has more Btu than petrol so i understand that we can use less.

Am i looking at this wrongly??
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Wanna buy my lucky rabbit's foot? It brings luck where ever you go.

Wasn't very lucky for the rabbit though.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:17 pm

pauljones wrote:I cant see how it works.

My reasoning,

A modern efi has injectors that open and close at a pre set time for a pre set duration at a preset pressure. Thus they are controlled, wide band 02 sensors may change this but very little.

Carbs work on the demand of airflow through the venturi and is metered by jets. Again, its a controlled environment.

So how can putting a miracle cure additive in do anything? Diesel has more Btu than petrol so i understand that we can use less.

Am i looking at this wrongly??

There is nothing wrong with your thinking/looking.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:30 am

I am , by nature and maturity, somewhat of a cynic.

So when I fitted a Broquet like device, (actually called Econogreen if memory serves), to a number of vehicle in the early 90's I expected nothing.

However an "S" engined Rover Maestro ran 80000 miles, lead free, without the engine being touched. When I eventually lifted the head at 108000 it was clean and deposit free. To state I was surprised is an understatement. It did not even require valve clearance adjustment.

An Early Mk1 Fiesta (1100 Ghia) pinked like fury and ran on so badly I could get out, open the bonnet and pull off the coil lead! Having saved the device from the deceased Maestro, I fitted it to the Fraud and the pinking stopped within 300 miles. Of course it could have been because I bought it off an old lady and gave it some serious work to do.

Allegedly no less a company than Prodrive used to fit the in tank version to grey import Japanese cars that were designed to run on 100+ octane Japanese fuel. I say again - allegedly.

Here's one mention -

screenshot-from-2017-08-06-10-47-32.png and

On the other hand I know one chap who fitted one to a Volvo Tank and, according to him, it had no effect. Mind you he was never the sharpest tool, so it is possible he fitted it to the car without actually connecting it in the fuel line!

Another acquaintance fitted one to a Honda Civic and it made little difference. Again that was a full UK spec Civic was was designed to run on 95 / 97 fuel.

As far as I can see they are not magic, just an octane boosted with tin/lead that protects the valve seats - maybe?

Either way, apart from your pocket, the genuine product does no harm.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: