+2 Spotted in the wild

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Mon May 08, 2017 11:32 am

after decades of ownership i spotted my first +2 "in the wild"

as in, not at a car show...

red plus 2 with white number circles on A3 near M25 interchange on sunday evening.

glad to see car in use !!
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Sun May 14, 2017 9:34 am

Ahh

That would've been me!

I'm on the A3 in the old girl 5 days a week, to and from London!

I used to pass a yellow one parked up in Battersea on my drive in but that's gone now

Gavin
Attachments
0.jpg and
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sun May 21, 2017 8:37 am

yes. it was you !
i am on the a3 at odd times and this was the first time i spotted you !

saw my second spot yesterday. saturday 20th may 6pm M40 near high wycombe
Black +2 on hard shoulder :( in the rain with roadside support in attendance. I would have stopped to render assistance but you already had help.
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Sun May 21, 2017 8:46 am

I was also on the A3 this morning, saw a car ahead in the distance and thought "That looks nice, might be an old Alfa!".

I got closer and it was another red +2, off to Brooklands by the looks of it, there was an EType and a Caterham out too
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm

LaikaTheDog wrote:saw my second spot yesterday. saturday 20th may 6pm M40 near high wycombe
Black +2 on hard shoulder :( in the rain with roadside support in attendance. I would have stopped to render assistance but you already had help.

Could it have been this one -

s1140004.jpg and

I know the owner, it had been to Matty's and M40, Wycombe, would have been on the way home. :(
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davie489 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi guys

The black plus 2 on the m40 was me, having just got the car back from paul Mattys last weekend and driving it back to wycombe all was fine and dandy luckily ....
Having got the car back on the road for a little spin before today's trip to brooklands I was in the fast lane doing 80 mph and the whole car was wobbling all over the place... pulled over straight away expecting to see a puncture but everything looked fine . To my amazement I checked the wheel spinners to find one rear spinner on its last thread!! Paul Mattys had obviously forgot to do it up other than hand tight!! I'm not sure how to approach this yet but will be ringing them first thing in the morning!
Luckily car and driver are fine
davie489
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 pm

.. you just can't get the staff nowadays :cry:
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun May 21, 2017 8:07 pm

will be plenty of us on the roads to castle combe next weekend
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun May 21, 2017 9:48 pm

davie489 wrote:Hi guys

The black plus 2 on the m40 was me, having just got the car back from paul Mattys last weekend and driving it back to wycombe all was fine and dandy luckily ....
Having got the car back on the road for a little spin before today's trip to brooklands I was in the fast lane doing 80 mph and the whole car was wobbling all over the place... pulled over straight away expecting to see a puncture but everything looked fine . To my amazement I checked the wheel spinners to find one rear spinner on its last thread!! Paul Mattys had obviously forgot to do it up other than hand tight!! I'm not sure how to approach this yet but will be ringing them first thing in the morning!
Luckily car and driver are fine

Glad you are OK Dave. I thought it might be you!

Such basic incompetence is inexcusable IMHO!

I use a red permanent marker to put a dot on the spinner and the wheel opposite the valve. Then you can see if it has moved!

Check the wheel in case the fretting has damaged pegs and location holes.

I've lost your mobile - give me a buzz sometime.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun May 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Those spinners were a devil. I had a rear one undo after 200 miles and another time I forgot to tighten a front one and it lasted just 400 metres; so I suspect yours was more than hand tight. Why did the pre-war ones self-tighten and the Lotus ones don't?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon May 22, 2017 2:16 pm

In 30 years of Lotus ownership & driving, I have always broken the rules & lubricated the threads, I always just knock the spinners up tight with a 'firm' blow, & they are always much tighter, or harder to undo after a few hundred miles, so I feel that they do tighten themselves in service.
That said, I have had one rear (O/S) come loose. It hadn't been touched for probably over a thousand miles, & suddenly the car felt like it had a puncture. I stopped, saw what had happened, raised the wheel free of the ground, checked there was no damage, tightened it back up as described above, & have never had another occurrence. Just another inexplicable little event in the course of Lotus ownership :lol:

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon May 22, 2017 3:42 pm

There is a steep twisty down grade leading to Lake Isabella from the west. Both times I have decended, I have the front KO's loosen. As I pulled away from the stop at the bottom, I could feel it in the steering wheel. A couple of whacks with the hammer and all was well. It the only place and time this has happened. Of course, it might have been a little over driving that caused the problem, as the smell of the brakes leaves a catch in my throat as I drive away.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon May 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Which way do the knock-offs tighten on a +2--towards the front like a 26R or toward the rear like a wire wheel k/o? I am impressed that my 26R style hubs and k/os are staying tight. In many years of driving wire wheeled cars I have never had one come loose.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed May 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Davidb wrote:Which way do the knock-offs tighten on a +2--towards the front like a 26R or toward the rear like a wire wheel k/o? I am impressed that my 26R style hubs and k/os are staying tight. In many years of driving wire wheeled cars I have never had one come loose.

Depends on which side. They tighten in the direction of forward travel.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: