Lotus Elan

Another newbie to the forum.

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:45 am

Corrective text grrrrr! I typed milled not milked!
Attachments
7bd2e9ba-ea28-4485-8c42-017d92bd67dc.jpeg and
Got my battery fitted now!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:26 am

Your diff and chassis look nice and clean! Mine is covered in gear oil as the output seals have failed. I have to remove the diff and renew the seals - maybe do the output bearings too. I'm dreading it, can't get under the car for love or money.

Also serendipitous of you to post your battery installation. I have to do the same thing as my larger than standard battery doesn't fit in the battery tray and is loose. Thump thump thump over the bump bump bumps.

Thank you!

JonB
1973 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Chassis 50/1115L
JonB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Battery secured using 25mm alloy angle from B&Q and some 6mm screwed stick
Bigbaldybloke
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:31 am

Personally I believe an ammeter is a better diagnostic instrument than a voltmeter, whether you have dynamo or alternator.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:50 am

Been away on holiday so not done much recently. I had ordered an angle drive for the speedo cable to gearbox connection as my original one was broken. Mistake, I ordered a cheap one from China, needless to say it didn’t fit, the nut that connected it to the gearbox was 3/4” and the gearbox was 7/8” diameter so managed to strip my old one down and swop the nut over. Tried to fit it and found the square flexy shaft in the coupling was approx 4mm across and the original was 1/8”. Couldn’t use the original as it just turned round in the drive without turning the output shaft so spent some time very carefully grinding down the Chinese one till it fitted. So 10 minutes work ended up as about 1 1/2 hours, false economy, buy the more expensive one from a reputable uk supplier! Anyway it now works.
Made a heat shield to fit in the recess in the boot where the silencer fits, mine is the early transverse type and you could see the fibreglass had got quite hot and blistered in places. Fitting the boot lid is now in progress, just got to fit the letters on the lid then redrill the hinge mounting holes as my body spray shop filled in the holes on the rear under the window before spraying it, the boot lid does have the original holes still in it.
If found someone local to do the trimming and have decided to have it done in leather throughout, light grey for the leather with dark grey for the carpets. Not original I know, but looks good in my Porsche so thought I’d copy it! That’s planned for the end of January so the car has to be mobile by then - no pressure then! (I have a backup plan, it’s a mates car trailer!)
Attachments
cda39361-ce7f-43eb-ada4-e19cc2229ebd.jpeg and
Silencer heat shield
a1a1483a-1e9f-4118-91b7-b2f154f841d4.jpeg and
Silencer heat shield
Bigbaldybloke
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: