New member in Devon starting the search for a plus 2

PostPost by: James72 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:02 pm

I'm James from Devon, I've been lurking around for a bit, reading up on plus 2's. I've had a few classic's over the years, Mini's & VW's mainly. I enjoy getting my hands dirty, currently helping my brother rebuild his 94 TVR Chimaera. I'm not what you'd call a purist, my last mini build was Honda vtec powered. I've got a budget of around ?12k. I realise I'm not buying at the top of the market and to be honest I wouldn't want to, half the fun is working on them isn't it ! But I do want something that I can jump in and use from the off.

Working full time and being down in south Devon, means it's not so easy to view cars in the north, but I'm willing to travel for the right one. I'd prefer to buy private for obvious reasons. Not fussy about early or late, just something that runs with half decent paint and a sound chassis, would be a good place to start.

It's a great site and I've learnt loads already, so cheers all.
James72
New-tral

PostPost by: Gray » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi

Come along to the local Club Lotus meetings, there are a few of us with Elans & Plus 2s

http://www.clublotussouthwest.co.uk/
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Good Luck James.

It seems +2s are flavour of the month just now.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 am

You might be able to get Deryck's JPS +2 if he can be squeezed for a couple of thousand.

Worth a try
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: James72 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 am

I?ve sent Deryck an email, probably too rich for me and will no doubt need a few quid to get it on the road, but nothing ventured !

Does anyone know anything about this one ?

https://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C923358
James72
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 am

Why "Trade sale" ?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am

Trade sale, usually means no warranty. Take it as it is and don't come back. They just want to shift it.
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 am

john.p.clegg wrote:Why "Trade sale" ?

Generally means "no warranty, sold as seen".

[Eric beat me to it]
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 am

Duplicate post deleted
Last edited by ericbushby on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: James72 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 am

The red one looks like a candidate, if it was a private sale surely this would be a couple of grand less.

I?m in no rush and have only been looking around for a few weeks !
James72
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:04 pm

ericbushby wrote:Trade sale, usually means no warranty. Take it as it is and don't come back. They just want to shift it.
Eric in Burnley

I know that,what I meant was why ??

...is there something wrong with it.

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:54 pm

James72 wrote:The red one looks like a candidate, if it was a private sale surely this would be a couple of grand less.

I?m in no rush and have only been looking around for a few weeks !

that red one doesnt look like its sitting right either........looks very high at the back......
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:22 pm

It's a shame there is only one picture of it. Oh hang on, look here: https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/lotus-elan-2-s/

Nice looking car, apart from the really bad paintwork. Might be worth buying if you have a mate with a spray booth.

@Cleggy - I suspect it is not up to Matty's required standard for a retail car, or there really is something wrong with it and they do not want to take the risk of a return. I wonder at that. There is such a thing as the Sale of Goods Act, which posits that items sold must be "fit for purpose". So if you bought this car (presumably for the purpose of driving from A to B) and a wheel fell off as you were leaving the premises, you'd have a case to argue no matter what the vendor asserted when you bought the thing. So saying "trade sale" means nothing legally in a commercial context, especially as they make representations as to the condition of the car ("runs really will" [sic]).

IMHO, of course.. and I'd be happy to discuss on another thread!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:15 pm

JonB wrote:Nice looking car, apart from the really bad paintwork. Might be worth buying if you have a mate with a spray booth.
....or rub it down to smooth it out (not necessarily to remove the paint) then wrap it..... :mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Maybe Matty is just saying that they took it in as a trade in and are moving it on as it is.
They say it needs repainting which as we all know isn't necessarily a cheap job especially for a dealer having to stand behind it.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: