Trip to LOG 32 to Celebrate Elan 50

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Well I have started planning the trip to LOG 32 from Colorado. Since I have been across Kansas more times than I care to admit, I am thinking of a Gulf Coast route that looks like this: Denver to Lubbock TX (Home of Buddy Holly) to Austin TX to Galveston TX and across the Gulf to New Orleans and then to the Florida panhandle and on to Orlando.Lots of gumbo and crawfish, steaks and Shiner Bock to fuel the driver and a new 3.54 axle ratio to make it easier on the Elan. 8) 8)

I figure about 2,300 miles each way and I would love some company or meet up along the way for lunch or dinner. The last time I did this kind of a trip (LOG 30 in Gettysburg PA) it was 4,141 miles round trip so this one will be a little more. Anybody up for this??
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:52 am

Fantastic route Ross. Just what I had in mind, but hadn't taken the time to figure it out.

Would be great to meet up with a group in Denver for the trip down (or part of it anyway). I will need to allow three days or so to get from Calgary to Denver, an additional 2,000 km (1,225 miles) thru some great scenery. Might have some visiting to do in the Houston area, but nothing firmed up yet. Still considering towing the car down due to the distances, which would be a whole different deal.

For sure I hope to extend my stay in the Florida area to tour around, visit the Conch Republic, see the Mouse, etc. I see the organizing committee is arranging for convention room rates three days prior & three days after the LOG 32 weekend. Were you considering arriving in Orlando early or leaving later to extend things? Might take a bit of a different route back home, but nothing is firm yet. Maybe hook up with a group one way depending on how things work out timing wise.

Any other interest out there yet? Know it's early yet, but what with -30 degrees C here last week, Florida Dreamin' seems pretty good here. 8) Would be great to see the Elans out in strength. :)
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Stu,
We would love to host you here in Denver and give you a day to clean the car and attend to anything it needs then proceed to LOG 32. Now you need to lean on Randy who has expressed a small interest and one of you will surely win the long distance award. I would be amenable to another route for the return trip though there is almost no way to avoid Kansas for me. Maybe you can go north through Iowa and visit Mark. Or even get him to join us. Let's do this!!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Would be awesome! Truly.

But I won't have the car ready by then. Unless something changes in my planning.

But you boys run along and have (safe) fun. I'll catch up to you maybe next year :wink: :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:11 am

Sorry boys, had not seen this one yet. I would be glad to have anyone visit in Iowa going south and not sure if I am going to LOG this year either. Will need to give it some time to sort out first.

Work does seem to be improving so might be a chance in going.

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:15 am

Mark, my impression was that you were an (early) retired gentleman farmer :wink:

Must be the economy getting in the way . . . ?
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:14 am

Hi Randy,

Not a farmer and not retired yet, tired yes all the time. I run a small company of 12 and somewhat construction based. We have been moving forward from a couple years back but it is a slow path.

We do live on a small farm with 42.5 acres but it is really a hobby farm and mainly a restoration shop for my addiction.

I might have interest in a road trip as I will have a newly finished S2, its been off the road since about '82. Going to be a nice one for driving with e few modern twist to the mechanicals. We have been running the motor for the last two years in our autocross car so I know it is bulletproof. Have to wait and see on the trip.

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 am

Very nice, Mark. I knew there was a gentleman/hobby farm in there somewhere (outbuildings are very handy for restoration!).

Hoping the positive economic signs will be good for you and yours. :)
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Well, Stu has decided on taking the eastern route, Mark is stuck in Iowa with his latest project, a Marcos no less, and the time is getting short for my October 18 departure now just 30 days away. Is there anybody who wants to join me on any part of this trip?? I am going regardless of whether I do it jointly or solo, but I sure would love some company and support :roll: Anyone :?:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm

So Ross, can you report on LOG32? Where there many elans there?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 pm

The LOG was great except that despite the celebration of the Elan 50th there were only three type 26 Elans there a series one, a series one and a half and my series two, so at least we had all the bases covered. There were another half dozen S3 and S4 cars there including Greg Z's beautiful S4 and two Plus two Elans including Stu Gilmore who won the long distance in a Lotus award for a trip one way of over 2,800 miles. He is still touring around the south and probably will have over 6,000 miles before he is done. Hurricane Sandy only brought wind of about 50 mph and no rain to speak of other than the deluge while I sat at the Orlando airport waiting for my wife's delayed flight to arrive. I was soaked inside the car just sitting. it seems to leak less when moving and that isn't saying much.

The facility was great albeit quite expensive and was filled with wierdos and strange characters. And then there was a Zombie convention in the hotel with 5,000 attendees all dressed in costumes and they looked even stranger than the Lotus folks.
Sebring was a delight, weather was cool but dry, Food was great, both Vic Elford and Derek Bell were delightful speakers and the photo from the concours will be a Woodstock kind of thing...ten times as many as were really there will say they were. :D

Photos on Tony Vaccaro's site:
http://www.lotusowners.com/2012Meetings/LOG32/Set1/index.htm
All in all a good LOG though lightly attended and pricey.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks for the update Ross, sorry again to miss you at Lime Rock over Labor Day weekend.

I have been totally underwhelmed by Elan 50th anniversary events here in the US this year! The Elite's 50th was far better celebrated even though the number of Elites manufactured less than 10% of the number of Elans manufactured.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:10 pm

pharriso wrote:Thanks for the update Ross, sorry again to miss you at Lime Rock over Labor Day weekend.

I have been totally underwhelmed by Elan 50th anniversary events here in the US this year! The Elite's 50th was far better celebrated even though the number of Elites manufactured less than 10% of the number of Elans manufactured.

Hi Phil

Did you go to LOG30?

elan-photos-f18/log-pics-t21420.html

Miles S3 pre airflow.JPG and

A good time was had by all :D

I expect LOG33 will be a very good event and a lot of early Lotus cars will be there and the newer cars will be in a minority and some owners will feel like a bunch of old farts has taken over (back?) their LOG :D

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:51 pm

piss-ant wrote:
Hi Phil

Did you go to LOG30?

A good time was had by all :D

I expect LOG33 will be a very good event and a lot of early Lotus cars will be there and the newer cars will be in a minority and some owners will feel like a bunch of old farts has taken over (back?) their LOG :D

Gary

No unfortunately I was on my Lotus Sabbatical (1985 - 2010!)
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 am

Thanks Gary, I enjoyed seeing the pics, and re-living the event. :D :D
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next