Broke Down Today - Vapour Lock?

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed May 09, 2018 6:22 pm

If it happens again and there's not as much fuel in the pump as you expect, I'd be inclined to take it off and put the packing in.
I have an old pump - would you like me to take a photo with a ruler so you can check lever dimension when yo do remove it?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 am

Yes please, MarkDa.

If I can, fitting a spacer is definitely on my todo list. I also have several other mechanical pumps which do use a spacer, so I could fit one of those. It is not original though.

I replicated the journey from my house to the end of the A130 yesterday without a problem - but it was 3 degrees C cooler. I then returned to my garage with a hot engine, switched off, closed the garage door and left it for 5 mins with no cooling fan. This was my attempt to get the fuel system as hot as possible.

Again, starting the car was instant and it idled for 15 mins without issue.

Confidence creeping back.... :)

Just to say that my breakdown cover through Peter James (KGM Insurers) worked a treat. An AA recovery vehicle came in 1 hour on a Bank Holiday Monday - not bad.

Dave.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 am

Any chance of grit / debris in the pump preventing the valves working?
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu May 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Pics as promised.
The rule is 16mm wide

20180510_130503.jpg and
Fuel pump lever 2

20180510_131030.jpg and
Fuel pump lever
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Thu May 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks Markda.

From visual memory that arm does look like my one did back in September 2015 (that's how long the pump has been in). However I cannot be sure.

So that pump has the spacer fitted.

I might take my pump out and have a look-see.

Dave.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu May 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Yes this pump was installed with a spacer - which is on the car with the new pump.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri May 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Spacer now fitted - what a pig of a job!

Access is hard enough without the spacer, but it seems impossible to get the pump in without handling the spacer and gaskets (covered in sealant)! My earlier replacement pumps were much smaller and easier to fit.

I looked through my old spacers and found one that takes o-rings. I remember seeing it at a boot fair and picked it up many years ago. I super-glued in some o-ring material and it was much easier. You can handle the spacer as you wrestle the pump into position, as there is no sealant required.

I also replaced the hex headed bolts that mount the pump with allen key headed bolts - again, much easier to get access.

Hopefully now I can get some happy motoring. I am using it for my daughter's wedding in August - no pressure!

Thanks again to Markda and all the others who helped out.

Dave.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri May 11, 2018 2:40 pm

When i fit the mechanical Fuel pump i have a little trick :wink: .
I put a finger in the hole where the Pump fits to feel the Cam Lobe, then with the other hand i turn the Engine so the Cam Lobe is in it's lowest position.
That means when i fit the Pump i am not pushing against it's action to try to fit the attachement screws :wink:
So much easier :mrgreen:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri May 11, 2018 3:02 pm

alan.barker wrote:When i fit the mechanical Fuel pump i have a little trick :wink: .
I put a finger in the hole where the Pump fits to feel the Cam Lobe, then with the other hand i turn the Engine so the Cam Lobe is in it's lowest position.
That means when i fit the Pump i am not pushing against it's action to try to fit the attachement screws :wink:
So much easier :mrgreen:
Alan

Yes, I learnt this the hard way. It is next to impossible to try and push down on the pump, while simultaneously trying to get the bolts in - the spacer stuck to the block with wellseal always moved. Turned the engine and it fitted easily...
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Just thought I would close this post with the final outcome.

I had fitted the spacer, and then removed the extra filter after the pump, and also fitted new fuel lines (which meant I undid and re-tightened all the unions).

Went for a blast down the A130 again in 30+ degrees heat, and this time no hint of vapour lock at the end. I also used the same Momentum 99 fuel.

So at least one of the things above worked for me. Happy Motoring!

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi Dave,
well done, the forum is for this and a BIG THANKYOU to say what the end result is for others to follow
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Thank you Alan.

This forum has helped me a lot over the years. Viva Lotuselan.net! 8)

Dave.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Glad to hear that simplification and attention to basics has done the trick.
Happy motoring indeed.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: