Carb cleaning

PostPost by: el torro » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:51 am

Anyone got a ultrasonic cleaner that Webers can fit in as I have a blockage in idle jet and acc pump circuit on one half of Weber
el torro
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:41 am

I do, and you are welcome to pop the carb in, but I am in Surrey and I am not sure the drive will be worth it.

I bought it new off eBay, for not a lot of money. It holds just over a gallon of cleaner, has a heater and a timer and seems to work well. If you are regularly fiddling around with old cars, it may be worth buying one.

I use kerosine as the cleaning fluid - the unit is plastered with 'don't use flammable cleaner' stickers, so I put it outside the garage when it is running. I don't use the heater, but the kerosine gets pretty warm after 20 minutes or so.

It seems to remove oily gunk much better with kerosine than a water based cleaner.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el torro » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for reply ,yup it's a long journey for that,I hope someone closer to me will post ,what model was it you got off eBay ,thanks
el torro
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Hasn't the idle circuit got a rep for being nigh impossible to clean?

There is a reasonably recent thread on here somewhere. Member gave up and bought new carbs!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:58 pm

el torro wrote:Thanks for reply ,yup it's a long journey for that,I hope someone closer to me will post ,what model was it you got off eBay ,thanks

I bought it a few years ago. I had a quick look on eBay and I think it must be a 6 litre model. Mine is pretty basic, a wind up timer and thermostat knob on the front and no drain tap. It was less than ?50 when I bought it.

The models on eBay are much fancier than mine, have digital displays - and unfortunately are more expensive.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el torro » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Located guy 7 miles out from Edinburgh. Does motorbike tuning but has a tank big enough to do cylinder heads,had a legend car engine on bench very interesting place,will see if problem is cured
el torro
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: