Dellorto Flexible Setting.

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:27 pm

I once perpetrated a complete bodge, of which i am not proud, on a X/flow engined Westfield that I fitted twin Dellorto DHLA's to, at the time I could not find the correct O rings for the manifold (they turned out to be Hoover Junior dustbag securing rings) so I made some gaskets and bolted the carbs solid.

to my great surprise they worked faultlessly at all RPM's without any frothing, in fact they were better then flexibly mounted ones as they did not settle out of sync with each other and hence balance whenever the engine stopped.

Many years later I came across a Westfiled, different colour, different wheels, cycle wings not clam-shells but there were a couple of signature jobs (AKA bodges) that told me it was the same vehicle, the carbs were still bolted solid :shock:

Trying to keep a straigh face I told then then new owner that the throttle cable bracket and the solid carb mountings were bodges that he should put right :lol: :lol:
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:49 pm

vincereynard wrote:BTW what are the grommets you mention? Luckily the plastic spacers are a nice, sliding fit.
Vince,
Rubber grommets are an alternative to the coil spring Thackeray Washers. They're basically a rubber cylinder with a V-groove waist that gives them an hour glass shape. They require a thin steel Cup Washer between their end and the Nyloc nut. They've been around for decades.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Attachments
soft-mount-tips-thackeray-washer-amp-rubber-grommet-install-notes.jpg
How to install the Rubber Grommets
soft-mount-tips-thackeray-washer-amp-rubber-grommet-install-notes.jpg (49.47 KiB) Viewed 941 times
soft-mount-spring-rubber-grommet-version.jpg and
Rubber grommet alternative to the coil spring Thackeray Washer
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:56 pm

vincereynard wrote:Tim,
Could you be a bit more specific?
Vince,
I could, but I made an effort not to use up more bandwidth than the topic deserved.
Tim
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Vince,
Rubber grommets are an alternative to the coil spring Thackeray Washers. They're basically a rubber cylinder with a V-groove waist that gives them an hour glass shape. They require a thin steel Cup Washer between their end and the Nyloc nut. They've been around for decades.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Learn something new everyday ----- as they say!

I've never heard of them. Thanks for the prod.

Out of interest, the instructions seems to indicate that the grommet only has a washer on the nut side. (like a thackery) Yet the QED illustration shows 2 washers?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 pm

I've noticed the same lack of consistency between vendor recommendations for one or two washers. I've not seen a manufacturer's spec. I've tried two cup washers, and they bottomed out against one another before the specified amount of crush was put into the grommet. One cup washer under the Nyloc nut seems to work okay, and the other end is sitting on the broad surface of the flange. That seems to work okay.

That's just my experience with them... not the official spec.

I prefer Thackeray washers over grommets, but I'm not militant about it.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:00 am

Chancer wrote:I once perpetrated a complete bodge, of which i am not proud, on a X/flow engined Westfield that I fitted twin Dellorto DHLA's to, at the time I could not find the correct O rings for the manifold (they turned out to be Hoover Junior dustbag securing rings) so I made some gaskets and bolted the carbs solid.

to my great surprise they worked faultlessly at all RPM's without any frothing, in fact they were better then flexibly mounted ones as they did not settle out of sync with each other and hence balance whenever the engine stopped.

I also had a couple of engines with twin webers bolted solid. A 1500 116E and a 2.2 Triumph. Neither gave a problem. Which makes one wonder how necessary the Lotus Lashup is? Granted the carbs. are joined at the trumpets but maybe a brace across the other end would help matters?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:22 am

There has been quite a few rear supports used over the years, this pic of one Weber suggestion.
Some of the 40?s have a boss cast in the underside back rear of the body to take a support.
p1030256.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: