Filter King

PostPost by: jono » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:12 pm

I've had a Filter King regulator kicking about in the spares box for ages but instead fitted a Sytec regulator in the boot just after the electric pump.

One of the motivations is the Filter King has a port for a pressure gauge as well as, of course, a bloody big filter cartridge!

Where should I position it - up front in the engine bay or in the boot? If up front where is the best place to fix it - I've heard it said the pressure regulator should be a close a possible to the carbs which makes me think I already have the Sytec in the wrong place.

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm

If you fit a "Huco" ref: 133010 (2.1 psi) low pressure Pump you don't need a regulator and it's not noisy like e.g. Facet. :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Mine's bolted to the 'wing' of the narrow rad so just in front of the carbs
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Cheers chaps,

Alan, I have a Facet Posiflow which is barely audible (fitted in the boot of the +2 below the floor on resileint mounts)
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:26 pm

Years ago I had a regulator that looks like the Sytec with an adjustable knob. The problem I found was that under vibration the knob would turn and eventually zero itself out with the result that the fuel was cut off and the car would come to a halt. Very annoying. I had it placed in the boot (trunk) near the electric fuel pump.

I now have a low pressure, high volume (and high priced) regulator from Aeromotive:

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/l ... regulator/

Also placed in the boot, but no problems as the adjustment is locked and cannot vibrate to a new position.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:18 am

jono wrote:Cheers chaps,

Alan, I have a Facet Posiflow which is barely audible (fitted in the boot of the +2 below the floor on resileint mounts)

Hi Jono,
maybe i was just unlucky with a Facet that was very noisy. When i bought the car it was already fitted and as soon as i had driven a few miles the car misfired with fuel starvation. When i touched the Facet pump it was very hot and causing vapourlock. The integral filter was blocked :shock: . There was also a pressure regulator in the fuel line.
So i replaced it with the "Huco" low pressure high volume and also removed the pressure regulator. I killed 2 birds with one stone 8)
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:10 pm

I have a sytec with a locking nut in my plus 2 boot. Alongside the facet pump. No problem with pressure loss. But I have run copper fuel pipe instead of the factory plastic.
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 pm

I have a filter King and it is mounted on a rod, fastened in a spare mounting hole of the front Dellorto carb.

RE the problem mentioned with the other regulator, if you look closely you can see that the dome nut is a locknut for the slim nut below it.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:24 pm

The Sytec PR I have has a knob which you need to push and turn over a series of cliks so it will not 'shake' off its setting during use.

One of the motivations of using the Filter King is being able to fit a pressure gauge but i've just noticed mine does not have the drilling for this - I wonder if it can be drilled and tapped to take the BSP fitting?

As a point of interest why are they supposed to be close to the carbs (as I am given to understand) as opposed to being fitted remotely, say, in the boot? If this is bollocks then I may just leave things as they are.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:23 pm

On my TVR 3000M and TVR 3000S the Low Pressure Huco Pumps are in the Boot and no problem 100%.
On my Elan Sprint i still have Mechanical Fuel Pump no problem.

Question for Bill,
with the Regulator on the front Carb how do you remove the Dissy or slacken the Clamp to adjust Timing :?
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:41 am

alan.barker wrote:
Question for Bill,
with the Regulator on the front Carb how do you remove the Dissy or slacken the Clamp to adjust Timing :?
Alan

Easily, I take the Filter King off its stud and let it dangle from the pipes while I reach behind it, then put it back on the stud with the securing nut loose while testing the dizzy.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: