Fitting Misab Spacers

PostPost by: William2 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:33 pm

When fitting Misab single rubber O ring spacers between carbs and manifold should they be fitted dry? Also, when tightening the rubber mounts should what should be the correct spacing between the 2 metal cup, washers? One person I spoke to reckoned about 20 thou.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:19 am

fitted dry.

Are you using thakery washers on the top or the rubber with caps on top and bottom?

I believe .020 is too tight. I'm not sure about actual measurement but expect you to end up closer to .040" or more.

I mount and secure top and bottom so carb and manifold spacing is parallel from top to bottom and the Misab o-ring is compressed enough to prevent leakage
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:52 am

ooops - thackery washers on the bottom, not top?
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Just a quick related question, Should the o rings be rubber as opposed to Viton etc? I ask because i have struggled getting a set of Viton o-rings to seal and i was told the rubber o ring is supposed to swell.

It kind of makes sense but i don't see why the Viton O-rings are such a pita because surly if the mating surfaces are both flat and the o-ring is not nicked it should seal??
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zog » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:15 am

My 2 cents.....

I grease up the o-rings with a little Vaseline petroleum jelly before installing them. They don't come loose when you install the carbs.

My wife looked at me cross-eyed when she found the tube sitting on the garage shelf a few years ago.......
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GaryGTV » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 pm

William2 wrote:When fitting Misab single rubber O ring spacers between carbs and manifold should they be fitted dry? Also, when tightening the rubber mounts should what should be the correct spacing between the 2 metal cup, washers? One person I spoke to reckoned about 20 thou.

Here's a new answer for an old question -- and it's from an Alfa guy!!! With my Weber 45s, I use machined aluminum carb mounts, with Misab o-rings, and the metal cup-rubber isolator mounts held on with Nylocs. The wizards at Alfaholics say to use a 2mm gap between the metal cups. That has worked fine for me.
GaryGTV
New-tral

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:09 am

I was using regular rubber O rings on an intake manifold back in the early 70's. The manifold had been cut with grooves to help retain the rings. However, the racing gasoline I was using at the time was causing extreme swelling, which over a very short period of time would cause the O ring to expand beyond the groove. Air leaks galore. Switched to Viton and the problem went away. On the next car, I used a rubber isolator from Datsun Competition. Unfortunately, these are NLA, though I have a couple of NOS spare sets that I use on the Elan and installed on the Plus2. These are bullet proof. No thackery or rubber washers. Bolt up the carbs and forget about them. If you can find a set, grab them, They are worth the trouble to use them. They do move the carbs further away from the manifold, which requires some fussing with the air box cover to prevent it from hitting the inner fender well on my S2. The Plus2 required serious modification to get the air box to clear. Though much of this was caused by the Dunnell intake manifold which brings the carbs straight out from the cylinder head, and not at an angle like the TC head.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: