Flooding

PostPost by: Terry Posma » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:44 am

Could I get some advice on testing the carbs without flooding the motor.

I have my S3 started after 30 years out of service. All works ok but when I put the bonnet on the throttle does not open all the way. Clearance issue.

I would like to muck around with the linkages and test to see there is clearance but that will flood the motor.

I can either empty the float bowls so that the accelerator pumps do not flood the motor or just flood it and take out the plugs and turn it over for a while to get the excess fuel out. The first is a bit of a pain to figure out how to evacuate the fuel from the bowl and the second will wash oil from the bores which is not ideal.

Any other suggestions?
Terry Posma
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:44 am

Disconnect the fuel line and plug it with a bolt while you play with the throttle linkages.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:32 pm

If you operate the linkage SLOWLY very little if any fuel will be ejected by the jets.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 pm

JonB wrote:Disconnect the fuel line and plug it with a bolt while you play with the throttle linkages.

Only works AFTER you drain the float bowls. But if you just don't worry about it but also don't crank the engine until it all evaporates it'll never get to the plugs to foul them.

Sounds to me like a job for UnderBonnetCam.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: