Fuel leak join to nylon pipe

PostPost by: ART » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi,
I have a problem with a fuel leak on an S4. The previous owner has jubilee clipped a rubber pipe onto the nylon fuel pipe, the join is behind the engine above the bell housing, it is pretty impossible to get at and it is weeping petrol!!
I have fitted a new fuel pipe before on an Elan but only on a bare chassis, the pipe was clipped to the underside of the top of the chassis tunnel.
What is the procedure to fit a new fuel line with the body on? Is it better to run a new pipe inside the car or along side the chassis underneath.?
Roger
ART
New-tral

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 am

any chance of getting more access by undoing it from the fuel pump to allow some bending so that the clip goes to the side or below?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:13 pm

In your situation I'd be inclined to run the new pipe within the car running it behind the lattice work in the car side.

Jubilee clips aren't very good on small pipes like the fuel hose, I prefer clamps like this:
l-double-wire-spring.jpg and
or
pyc102110.jpg and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ART » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. The car is fitted with an electric pump in the boot. I can just get at the jubilee clip and could possibly change it for another type but is clamping a rubber fuel pipe onto the original plastic/nylon one a good idea? Previously I have terminated the nylon pipe with an olive and brass fitting with a 6 or 8mm tail but it is too inaccessible to do this.
It looks like it will have to be Kunifer pipe inside the car, not sure what run is best and where is best to exit into the engine compartment.
Roger
ART
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:18 pm

ART wrote: I can just get at the jubilee clip and could possibly change it for another type but is clamping a rubber fuel pipe onto the original plastic/nylon one a good idea?
Roger

Should be fine, that's how it was done on the other end, fuel tank exit pipe --> rubber hose --> nylon pipe. You can push the rubber hose further onto the nylon line & put a couple of clips on it for belt & braces.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Imho you have no choice with an electric pump, kunifer pipe to be safe.
The plastic pipe was just for the suction of a mechanical pump.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ART » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Well I have managed to fit another clip (not a jubilee type) and the leak appears to have stopped and the pump comes to a stop and doesn't click for ages so definitely no more leaks. I'm still not too happy about all the nylon to rubber joins though and the nylon pipe hanging above the propshaft. I think eventually I will fit a Kunifer pipe with proper fittings each end to connect to rubber hoses and run it inside the car for peace of mind
Roger
ART
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:53 pm

+1
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Fuel pipes don't go inside cars for a good reason.

Your kunifer pipe is going to need a joint and a rubber / nylon section.

Doesn't sound to good to me.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ART » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 pm

I was thinking of copying how the system is on my Elite. The Kunifer pipe goes straight along the tunnel inside the car. There is a rubber connection to the electric pump in the boot and rubber connection to the twin SUs at the other end, it seems to work OK.
Roger
ART
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:18 pm

When i connect a rubber fuel pipe to kunifer i use a Brake Pipe Flaring tool and put a small double flare bubble on the end. So once fitted with a hose clip there is no way it can slip off the end.
Imho if you stay with the original plastic pipe fit an olive and use an olive fitting to set it in place on plastic tube.
The big thing to remember is with an Electric pump you are putting pressure in the fuel line so you need olives and pressure fittings
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: