Fuel line connections

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum that someone had replaced the mechanical fuel pump and fitted an in-line connector between the plastic fuel line from the tank and the pipe that feeds the carbs on a weber engine using the existing threaded nuts and olives. However, search as I might I cannot find the post so perhaps someone can help. What is the thread size for the inlet and outlet on the mechanical pump? I've just fitted a low-pressure electric pump on my S4 SE and I want to bridge out the mechanical pump.

Thanks in advance, I know someone will know the answer!

Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Nigel,

I have questioned the thread sizes of the mechanical fuel pump on the Forums previously.

I established that the pump could be 'bridged out", using a Female 1/2" Jic ( 1/2" UNF -20 ) threaded adaptor with an 8mm barbed adaptor on the other side.

The Webber / Stromberg end of the existing flexible fuel pipe thread, is screwed into the Female adaptor and the barbed adaptor is pushed into the new fuel line, and clamped. ( the new Fuel line then runs back to new electric pump in the boot area ).

I obtained the adaptor from that auction site.

Can't show any pictures of the completed job yet, but can send one of the adaptor if needs be?

Hope this helps.

PM me for more info.

Regards,

Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Nigel,

I confirm what Phil has just told you. I have just measured the fittings for my 1968 S4 at 1/2 inch UNF.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Thank you all for your replies, as a result I know now what I need for the job. I may do a proper job and bore and tap a piece of hex bar at both ends for the fittings or just take the easy way out and use two female unions with a bit of fuel pipe in between. Either way, I can now proceed so thanks again!

Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: