AC Fuel Pump Overhaul

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 am

I'm considering overhauling my spare (original) glass bowl AC fuel pump. There are kits available from several sources but none seems to include the rubber pushrod seal. Has anyone found a source for that seal in the UK or made one out of something else - master cylinder dust cover perhaps ?

Many thanks. Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:20 am

Sorted !
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:18 am

Well I spoke too soon......turns out that sourcing the diaphragm pushrod seal was the easy bit, it's the basic refurb kit which is proving to be the problem !

I have now tried two different kits from different suppliers and neither one fits - not sure if they are for a different pump or (more likely) that they are poorly made copy parts. In the first kit from Rimmer Bros the screw holes in the diaphragm were in the wrong position relative to the tongue on the end of the pushrod so it would not engage fully at right angles with the slot in the pump lever. In the second kit, from the supplier currently advertising on ebay, the diaphragm is correct but the two valves are too large to fit the recesses in the pump body - diameter is 0.011" larger than the old valves.

Has anyone else done this job recently and got a kit which fitted properly - if so where did you source it ?

This is a spare pump so not critical but I am beginning to wish I hadn't bothered !

Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Last edited by oldelanman on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:28 am

The original use of the fuel pump would probably been Cortina, I would try that avenue.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:47 am

piss-ant wrote:The original use of the fuel pump would probably been Cortina, I would try that avenue.

P-A, Thanks for the reply, I believe you are quite correct. The second kit I got is supposed to fit Cortina as well as loads of other makes including Elan's although why it's only Plus 2 and S3 I don't understand - I thought they all used the same pump. I think the problem is just poorly made parts.

"For AC Delco type U and Type F fuel pumps.
As fitted to:
Triumph TR2, TR3, TR4, TR5, TR6 and GT6.
Alvis models, TA21, TC21, TD21, TE21, TF21, From 1950 to 1967.
Lotus Elan+2, Lotus Elan S3, Ford Anglia's, and early Ford Cortina's.
Jensen, Standard Triumph Vanguard & Renown and the Lanchester 14.
The marinised Ford 1600 the Watermotor Sea Panther."

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Yum-yum » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:36 pm

I recently had my spare glass bowl pump rebuilt by these guys:
http://dragsite.tripod.com/antique_auto ... cellar.htm
I considered buying a rebuild kit but decided to have it done as it looks like the valves are staked into place and I was not confident of doing that part reliably myself. I want the valves to seal perfectly because my car sits for extended periods undriven and I suspect it suffers from gas siphoning back to the tank as it can take a while to prime the carbs to start. Before the rebuild I could blow air backward through the pump, now it is sealed nicely.
These guys did a great job, they responded to an email promptly and did the job quickly. I don't know that you would want to use them but they may be able to sort out which kit you would need as they've just done mine. You might email them.
DSCN1503.jpg and
Yum-yum
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi Roger

I believe that the part you are looking for is E0TA-99399. The part number would seem to indicate a flathead Ford possibly. You may need to change you parts source for this. Maybe one of the flathead four or 105e forums or parts suppliers would know more.
Attachments
Cortina Fuel pump parts exploded.JPG and
Cortina Fuel pump parts.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I'll do some more shopping around.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Roger,

I know Brian Buckland rebuilds pumps as I bought one from him. Maybe worth a call to see if he can recommend a supplier for the kits..?

Good hunting

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks Robbie, I'll give Brian a try as well.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:34 am

Hi Roger

I did some looking and googled the part number

E0TA-99399 and got 2 hits, my post was one and another that offered nothing, well I don't like Zeros and O's in part numbers. It's tough to read them and be right, so I banged it in with an O instead of the Zero.

http://www.google.com/search?q=EoTA-993 ... =firefox-a

Seems like there may be a use other than automotive and it makes sense as the Kent Engine was marinized at least as far back as 1967 with the 1500 GT engine in a boat making 80 hp, available in sterndrive and inboard versions.

http://www.vanssports.com/pages/OemPart ... 44%2f54061
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 am

Hi P-A, Thanks for all that research I appreciate your efforts. I have now had time to read through all this info and I think a bit of confusion has arisen here. In my initial post I was trying to source the pushrod stem seal (EOTA-99399) as it is not included in the repair kits which are available here in the UK. I managed to get one from a guy called Hal Houghton in the States and then went on to purchase the basic repair kit which I thought would be straightforward and it's that I am having trouble with. I've tried two sources and in each case some of the bits don't fit - either they are for a different pump or more like poor quality copy parts. Hence my second post. I checked out those links you sent and, although the pump shown looks basically the same, the valves are held in by a retaining plate and screws - mine are staked in - so it looks like an earlier or possibly later version.

I also followed Robbie's suggestion and contacted Brian Buckland. He states categorically that the correct parts for this pump are not available, at least in the UK. Apparently one individual still has a stock of them but will not sell them as he overhauls the pumps for a living. Brian can supply a rebuilt pump outright or exchange but for me it's too pricey for what is just a spare pump.

I will try the link that "Yum-Yum" posted but their kits look a bit pricey and with shipping added it might not be an economical option.

Thanks again for all your input guys. I'll keep you posted if I have any success.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi All,
Well I finally got the job done but had to use parts from 3 different sources.
I actually found an original AC Delco service kit and although all the parts would fit, the diaphragm and rubber bowl seals are not considered compatible with modern fuels so I just used the valves from it. The other parts were used from a new remanufactured kit (available on ebay) as they are said to be suitable for modern fuels. The valves and valve gaskets in this kit however are a larger diameter than the originals and I was not happy to use them for fear of distortion or damage to the pump body when pressing them in. The seller claims that no one else has had a problem with them so maybe I was being over-cautious. Finally the diaphragm pull-rod seal, which is not included in either of the service kits, was obtained from a very helpful guy in the US.
Lots of messing around but got there in the end and total cost was less than ? that of buying a refurbished one.

Thanks to all who offered help and advice.

Regards,
AC fuel pump 035.jpg and
AC fuel pump 034.jpg and
AC Fuel pump 009.jpg and
Diaphragm pull-rod seal
Attachments
AC fuel pump 039.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:09 am

I'm intrigued Margaret, what sort of car did you buy for $250 ?
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:09 pm

While browsing I found a kit available from Small Ford spares that appears to contain the diaphragm pull-rod seal (part no. E93A-9349 https://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/products/e93a-9349-fuel-pump-repair-kit-export-model-e36-z-1). Says it's suitable for the glass top 105E fuel pump. I guess this means it's OK for the twin-cam?

Rob.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: