Fuel tank drain valve . . . ?

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:15 am

Greetings,

Wondering if anyone has experimented with installing a fuel tank drain valve or petcock, as opposed to the 1/4" BSPT plug the factory provided.

I ask because after finally wrestling the plug out of my tank's bung, it occured to me that draining fuel would be awkward and - especially - messy. It would flow down over the diff, chassis, et cetera, on it's way to splashing all over the place.

I want to be able to get rid of old fuel after the car has sat a while, or bad fuel, etc. Seems the best way would be to have a valve of some sort, that you could push a piece of tubing onto and run into a container so you could drain without making a huge mess. Wouldn't be too difficult - while the tank is out - to drill out the 1/4" BSP taper thread and tap it any way you like and fit, say, something like . . .

ez-oil-drain-valve.jpg and

Looking forward to your thoughts, and debate . . . :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Totally agree with your concept, though I approached it in a different way. Needing an electric fuel pump for the Zetec, I started with a simple quarter turn ball valve in the trunk to completely shut off the fuel from the tank. I have increased the fuel line size to 5/16 from the tank, by making a new brass "ring" at the bottom of the tank with the new fitting. Then used a rubber fuel line into the trunk. I have removed that valve and installed an electric solenoid valve in its place. My plan for draining the tank, if needed, is to disconnect the line from the pump to the engine and use a piece of rubber fuel line with the appropriate connection, to pump the fuel to a container outside the car. Having an electric pump on my S2, I have used this process several times and seems to work well. The only drawback, is there will be some residual fuel left in the system between the solenoid and the outlet of the pump and the line to the engine, in addition to what is left in the rubber line to the outside container. Knowing I will have a minor spill, I think I can live with that.

With yours, you could remove the line to the tank, and install a line to a container. Easy if the car is raised, and only a minor spill from the fuel between the tank and the mechanical pump.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Paul Chapman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Great idea, however I would fit a valve that can be locked closed and with a threaded outlet so it could be fitted with a plug to prevent any leak to the outside if the valve opens/fails for any reason.
Paul
Paul Chapman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:48 pm

I think its a good idea. The thread outlet with cap and good method to fasten pipe to drain sounds good.

Personally I am impressed you managed to get the drain plug out. Even with my tank removed i was unable to get the dam thing out. I just drained it via the normal outlet with large funnel to catch the fuel.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Yeah, tough is right. Waited 2 years (during restoration) for some great brainwave. Soaked in various pentrating oils, etc. But in the end, had my son hold onto the bung with vicegrips, so I wouldn't twist it off, and I used vicegrips on the plug, worked it in both directions . . . I fully expected the plug to twist in half, but magically it came free :)

My alternative was to drill it out, etc. What a mess that would be. :shock:
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:40 pm

mbell wrote:Even with my tank removed i was unable to get the dam thing out. I just drained it via the normal outlet with large funnel to catch the fuel.

Same here, only the petrol in mine was so old and perished that I didn't bother with the funnel. Cleaned some of the crud off the diff-housing in the process! :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: John don » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:40 pm

Stick a rubber pipe in it and suck basic physics pardon my French
John don
New-tral

Total Online: