Fuel tank: replace or repair?

PostPost by: draenog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi,

Went out to drive the car on Tuesday and it smelt very strongly of petrol, and on opening the boot I found a small pool of fuel. Last night I had the "fun" of draining the tank and getting it out of the car. The tank appears to be in general good condition (a borescope shows it to be bright and shiney on the inside with no gunk). But moisture has obviously been trapped underneath, and it's rusted through in one place. I've taken a picture.

fuel_tank_hole.jpg and

The hole was originally a pin-hole but I've enlarged it to get to good metal. As it's only in this one place I was wondering if it was worth repairing it with Plastic Padding leak repair/putty or if it's better to replace it with a new alloy tank? I'm aware that you should never try to repair a fuel tank by soldering/welding, etc.

Thanks for any advice!
Rob.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:37 pm

imho i would put it on your Christmas list and fit a new alloy tank. I would not take any risk :mrgreen:
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:16 pm

I've bought three Elan tanks from Andy Wiltshire and have found his tanks to be superb and he's a really nice chap to deal with. No connection just a very happy customer

http://www.andywiltshire.com/
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:40 pm

but isn't there an issue re the filler tube angle?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:26 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:but isn't there an issue re the filler tube angle?

for baby elan or +2 :?:
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:57 pm

No,No,No, don't say that word...

For the plus2..

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:05 pm

I had one issue with the location holes on my '65 S2, but the tanks for my S3 and S4 were a perfect fit. The S2 bodies were rather hand made, mine wasn't accident damaged just an odd shape. Andy at no additional cost sorted it, even though it wasn't his fault.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:09 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:No,No,No, don't say that word...

:mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:17 pm

Get a new Wiltshire tank and be done with it. It's like tires.........buy new and buy the best..............your life depends on it.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Rob,

I once repaired the tank on my S3, I can't recall what I used but it wasn't plastic padding. I think it was an epoxy called Petropatch or something like that. The external corrosion was a much wider area than you have and not surprisingly it wasn't a permanent fix. I probably didn't help by being much younger and in a hurry to get the car back on the road.

But what it did do was give me time to save/plan a replacement which I eventually did. So if you can get something designed for petrol resistance and can clean to bright metal, then there's no reason why you shouldn't have a go at it.

You've nothing to lose and you will be very aware of any fumes in future so I can't see it being any more dangerous than what's been happening until you found it.

If it works, great. If not, well you've bought time to plan a replacement tank.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Any idea what the lead time is on a Wiltshire tank? I see SJ Sportscars sells alloy tanks for 295 + VAT, but they're made to order and will take 3 weeks.

I don't know if 46 counts as young round here :) But I'm quite keen to get the car back on the road as the MOT runs out on the 20th! I'm tempted to order a tank and try repair leak as a temporary repair...
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Hmmm. Yet another another variable. I see the Wiltshire tanks boast that their

tank is unique in that it is the only replacement +2 tank that allows for fitting of the original sender unit which is retained by locking ring

While the tank from SJ Sportscars comes with a sender already fitted. So what's the advantage of the original sender unit apart from cost? (and I see the SJ Sportscars tank is cheaper with sender than the Wiltshire one). I imagine the original tanks allowed the sender unit to be replaced. Does anybody have a tank from SJ Sportscars, and know if the sender is replaceable, or is it fixed (which is why it comes with one)?

Thanks,
Rob.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Can't tell a lot from the SJ photo, but looks like the fuel sender unit is screwed into place and therefore replaceable.

Perhaps more importantly, the tank appears to have butt joined welded edges, and not constructed like the factory original tank. Wiltshire tanks, from their photos, look to be made like the factory original and look gorgeous.

Just a thought. Also, Andy states on his website that he's focusing on fuel tanks, so perhaps his turn-around time is pretty decent.

I'd talk to both companies. But being the repairer-rebuilder that I am, I'd also try the repair root. The hole in your tank is not large. Patch it up, test it, and run it.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV . . . et cetera . . . .
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Panda » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi Rob,
If you have access to a good oxy welder, it's not hard to repair a fuel tank. Simply remove sender unit, completely drain all petrol and then connect tank filler tube to any convenient car exhaust pipe with engine running for about 30 minutes. The hot gas dries out the fuel and you then have about 10 minutes welding time before you may get a slight pop indicating it needs gassing again with carbon monoxide.
Back in the late sixties, I had the job of welding a connector into 50 Alfa 1750 GTV fuel tanks taken straight from the car in order to homologate and fit a long range tank for racing at Bathurst. So I know this works, I am living proof!! It may be hard to find a welder who believes me though.
Alan P
Panda
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Love this scheme.

Don't know how to "test" it's safety . . . :?
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: