Help identifying fuel filler cap

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:10 am

"they also come vented and non vented" :?
Could you explain the difference because i think they are all the same, they all leak or vent.
I have a Sprint and have owned 3 different +2s and for me they have all been the same
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:55 am

alan.barker wrote:"they also come vented and non vented" :?
Could you explain the difference because i think they are all the same, they all leak or vent.
I have a Sprint and have owned 3 different +2s and for me they have all been the same
Alan

This link shows the difference (you need to scroll down a bit): http://ceandess.online/presto-75-caps-accesories

The metal part with the rubber seal has a hole on the vented cap, and no hole on the non-vented cap. The cap on my +2 doesn't have a hole...
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:16 am

That's true about the hole but they all leak/vent in the centre where they have the big spring behind.
If you remove the crosshead screw and remove the assembly. You will see like a cut off piece of rubber hose slid over the centre spigot which is supposed to act as a seal to stop fuel leaking when taking corners.
In reality this perishes and is useless as a seal. All +2 Elans leak fuel on corners with a full tank unless you have fitted a Mazda MX5 non return inside the big tank filler hose.
Sorry but the very little hole in the tank seal disc imho makes no difference
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:23 am

alan.barker wrote:Sorry but the very little hole in the tank seal disc imho makes no difference
Alan

Yes, my +2 leaks petrol down the side as well. I doubt the hole makes any difference but a non-vented cap was fitted to the +2, so if you want to be correct you need a non-vented cap.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 am

Yes you are right.
It looks like you have the MX5 mod to do before the paint on the back wing is not effected :wink:
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:36 am

alan.barker wrote:Yes you are right.
It looks like you have the MX5 mod to do before the paint on the back wing is not effected :wink:
Alan

Too late - I have a paint blister the size of a 10p coin which appeared sometime in the last 2 months :(
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:49 am

Shit :(
The last +2S130 when i bought the paint on the back wing had been destroyed because of fuel leaks.
When i bought the car it had not been used for 23 years so all vapour had evaporated. To prepare the wing for painting was a big job.
Have a look at the MX5 mod on the forum because it works 100%. + very cheap and very easy to do.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Mine doesn't seem to have the paint damage, but I did the Mazda mod anyway whilst re-plumbing the ventilation. Got fingers crossed for it to work as claimed.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:04 pm

... Don't forget Morgans and some Triumph Spitfires as well? :-) Although the cap on my Sprint is not a locking one the bottom part has the cutouts for a locking fuel cap.
Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: