help tuning the Dellortos 40s

PostPost by: Sheldon190e » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 am

alan.barker wrote:Have you replaced the Accelerator Pump Diaphragms and made sure the pivots more nice and free. Also clean and make sure the very little Ballbearing non returns are clean.
Alan

I have opened them out yesterday and cleaned and checked if they moving freely, and they are. The car revs up fine on stand still but under load is where it struggles. Adjusted the floats many times but still no decent changes. If all else fails im going to take them out and throw on my other set of webers 40s and see from there, but they need one heluva clean up. Been laying around for 10 years plus.
Sheldon190e
New-tral

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Sheldon,
Although you say you are using Dellorto 40's is there a code letter after the DHLA 40 ? most of the Dellorto's with a code letter are emission carbs ....the exception being the carbs with "C" and "E"
The emission carbs are not easy to set up as the circuits are different and dont really suit the Lotus TC engine, even the idle jet holder is different and I have seen these mixed up with the non-emission carbs creating all sorts of problems, if your Dellorto's came from an Alfa they could be emission carbs.
I know South Africa had a lot of Alfa's both with Dellorto's and Webers (I lived there for thirty years) and saw all manner of problems with the carbs when S.A. introduced additives (Ethernol ??) years ago in the days of the sanctions.
P.S. where are you ....I was in Gauteng.
Attachments
dell-idle-jet-holder.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sheldon190e » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 am

types26/36 wrote:Sheldon,
Although you say you are using Dellorto 40's is there a code letter after the DHLA 40 ? most of the Dellorto's with a code letter are emission carbs ....the exception being the carbs with "C" and "E"
The emission carbs are not easy to set up as the circuits are different and dont really suit the Lotus TC engine, even the idle jet holder is different and I have seen these mixed up with the non-emission carbs creating all sorts of problems, if your Dellorto's came from an Alfa they could be emission carbs.
I know South Africa had a lot of Alfa's both with Dellorto's and Webers (I lived there for thirty years) and saw all manner of problems with the carbs when S.A. introduced additives (Ethernol ??) years ago in the days of the sanctions.
P.S. where are you ....I was in Gauteng.

Oh I finally got it. Turns out the previous guy who had the carbs like 10 years ago(bought it 10 years ago and haven't used it since)hadnt cut the gasket right. Turns out there was supposed to be a hole near the jets so it can breathe. Did that and there it goes, perfect. Using it every day now. Thanks for the help. The code I have on mine is dhla40f.
Sheldon190e
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: