Mechanical fuel pump with primer bulb

PostPost by: loueelotus » Sat May 27, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi,

I have a new mechanical fuel pump which I am installing now and I would like to add a primer bulb in the boot or wherever is good on the Elan. What is the primer bulb? It sounds like the thing to do..

Much appreciated if someone could tell me.

Regards,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
Colin Chapman’s immortal words ‘Simplify, then add lightness’
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Sat May 27, 2017 4:43 pm

The bulb looks like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Hand-Primer-6-mm-Bulb-Type-Boat-Fuel-Diesel-Pump-Kart-Karting-BF-/122518107762?hash=item1c86a5f672:g:ZkAAAOSwu1VW8Ubp
Do a Google search for "fuel primer bulb" and you'll find no end of them. Be careful to choose the correct diameter.
Whether you put it near the tank or the carb end is debatable and I'll let others advise about that.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Sun May 28, 2017 4:32 am

Thank you for your information... much appreciated.

Regards,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon May 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi Lou,

I have that exact set-up on my Super Safety Elan in Florida. It was great to arrive from the cold north, open the boot, squeeze the bulb maybe 10 times and have the car running,

But recently, I've been putting more effort into my summer storage preparations. I've added to my procedure, draining the coolant, so that the water pump seal is not immersed in stagnant water for 6 months ,and possible premature water pump failure, and draining the fuel from the tank, to remove the alcohol "enhanced" fuel from corroding everything it comes in contact with. So, in late April, I decided to pump the tank dry using the bulb. I had about a half gallon out when my bulb split and gushed gasoline around the boot.

I quickly removed the spare tire and had the fuel tank on the garage floor 10 minutes later. Turned out there was more fuel in the tank than I'd remembered. I will need to repair when I return this fall, but I will not replace the bulb device with another. I believe this time, I will use a small Facet cube electric pump, operated through a momentary contact switch. Once it has filled the carbs and I start the car, the mechanical pump should pull fuel through the inactive Facet pump.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 am

Thank you all for your information. I will decide what route to take this summer.

Regards,
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: