petrol leak solved

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:10 am

I put 1st lot of fuel in for 13yrs and the pungent smell of 4 star lingered for days .
.. traced it down to fuel line which was replaced during rebuild in 1990's . I don't know if the standard type of olive used on metal piping was commonly used then on the red plastic stuff , but you can see in the picture below that this had been overtightened , which is a very easy thing to do . The pipe on the left is really pinched...
The correct olive (non -compressible ) for plastic piping , is shown on the right.
it worked a treat , solved the problem & the smell has disappeared.
I've got 9 spares left in the pack if you need one.
RichC
P7240004.jpg and
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:24 am

Rich,

Nice photo and a very informative post. I did not know there were two kinds of olives (actually 4 if you include green and black :D).

Despite your solution, I would be wary about leaving the plastic fuel line in your car. It is my understanding that some modern fuels are not compatible with the plastic lines that Lotus installed decades ago and this sometimes leads to fuel leaks. That's why you hear so many stories about Lotuses suddenly catching fire. One of the first things I did when I purchased my Lotuses years ago was to convert all of the plastic to metal brake line. Think about it.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:38 pm

hmmm, by "modern fuels", what do you mean Frank?
I've read only a few of the items herein about lotus fuel lines as I'm a newbie , and I recall just 2 issues
1 contact with hot surface causing melting
2 leaks caused by poor unions (c.f. my own experience)

if there is also an issue with chemical degradation such as cracking or someother I'd be very interested in hearing more!

thanks for the praise Frank.. i'll do my best to keep things interesting
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:41 am

RichC wrote:hmmm, by "modern fuels", what do you mean Frank?
I've read only a few of the items herein about lotus fuel lines as I'm a newbie , and I recall just 2 issues
1 contact with hot surface causing melting
2 leaks caused by poor unions (c.f. my own experience)
RichC

3 Not sure if the Elan is different than the Europa here, but the Europa TC has a plastic "T" connector to split the fuel line to the 2 carbs. To this part and its tendency to become fuel-soluble with age is attributed the attrition of many TC Europas. :cry:

Plastic cars do not offer an appropriate aroma for most meats or provide sufficiently even heat for proper backyard grilling. A modern fuel pathway from tank to carbs is cheap insurance and easily accomplished. I personally like the appearance of AN fittings, though they're on the pricey side.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:49 pm

here's a picture of the non compressible type of olive for nylon line
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:50 pm

here's a picture of the non compressible type of olive for nylon line
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:59 pm

I think by modern he means alchohol. Here in the US gasoline often contains 10% ehtanol, sometimes more.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Rich, no pic. Unless it is like the olive on the right in your pic from 2009
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:22 pm

correct . that's the pic . was on an old harddrive which crashed hence i resorted to this old posting
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: