Rubber Primer Bulb and Fuel Pump

PostPost by: William2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Having fitted a rubber primer bulb near the tank to prime the carbs when empty a thought has occurred to me. When pumping the bulb to feed fuel via the mechanical fuel pump into the carbs is there any danger in damaging the 2 way valves in the pump? Out of interest is the pump the same as a Ford Anglia as I have noticed Quinton Hazel replacements on Ebay?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 am

In short no.... You are pumping fuel the correct way through the 2 valves.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:20 am

Hi,
No actual damage but it?s possible to flood the carbs if you can create a higher pressure than the pump.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cbguerrajr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:02 pm

I have had a primer bulb installed for more than five years and the mechanical pump is fine.
But I always worried about over-priming, as you can't feel any back-pressure. so i just give it one squeeze or two depending how long the car has been sitting.
Carlos
cbguerrajr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:18 pm

cbguerrajr wrote:But I always worried about over-priming, as you can't feel any back-pressure. so i just give it one squeeze or two depending how long the car has been sitting.
Carlos

Just like when the mechanical pump is working, once the float chamber is full the float valve will seal closed & you will it suddenly be more difficult to pump the primer...

Don't overthink this! :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: