Starts but won't run

PostPost by: jimj » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 pm

Confuscias says "90% of supposed fuel problems are, in fact, electrical".
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:52 am

Well as long as my indicators don't turn out to be fuel related she'll be on the road today hopefully :)
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 pm

nmauduit wrote:my indicators dont flash, appears to, bypassing the flasher gets solid lights, but yet they worked this morning !

The flashers in cars of this period are driven by heating up a bimetallic strip until it opens the relay contact. This requires current at a certain threshold. If, like many people, you attempt to upgrade to LED bulbs, they may have marginal or insufficient current draw to heat the strip.

Modern flashers are blinked on an electronic rather than a mechanical basis. The maddening part is that the LED bulbs are close so will work sometimes. I wound up using half LED, half incandescent in the circuits to resolve this.

Even if this is not what happened to you, the mechanical flashers are not that reliable (they have mechanical contacts and are now 50 years old.) Easy replacement at any auto discount shop unless you're worried about concours.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:09 am

Chris5360 wrote:Right I solved it :) turned out to be the wire from the tacho to the coil, very strange would let it idle for 10 secs nicely or rev roughly for as long as I pressed the peddle,
Bypassed the wire as a end or my tether thing as I'd exhausted all carb possiblities and started on things like points gaps
Runs lovely now,

Oh, Oh...

Has your starter solenoid got TWO thin wire connections on it, with one of them going to the coil?

If so that wire from the tacho to the coil, that you bypassed, was probably a resistive wire acting as the ballast resistor.
It may well have become faulty as it heated up, but if you replaced it with copper wire you are over-driving the coil.

Naturally that will make the engine run well with nice fat sparks.. Until the coil burn out!
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: