Lotus Elan

Stromberg Rebuild - any advice for a rookie?

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:15 am

One down, one to go.

20181128_193435.jpg and

20181201_154624.jpg and
SENC
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 am

Bent another jet while pressing it into the 2nd carburettor, so on hold while awaiting another. The main section of the new jets appear to be about a half a thou larger than the ones I removed. I polished this one as I did the one I got into the first carb, but perhaps not quite enough. It was within 50 thou of its final position when I bent it. I may also try to find and fit a bit of a nail shank into the pickup end of the jet, just to add some rigidity when pressing it in.

In the meantime, a few things learned along the way that may be useful to future Stromberg rebuilders...

Stromberg 17CD2S spec numbers for our Elans:

2018-12-02-22.01.36.jpg and
Stromberg chart

The spare set I had are 3322s, so that is the spec I'm rebuilding to though my car is a 1969. I will likely rebuild the ones I pull off to the same spec, unless the variable needle gives me problems.

I had a pair of service kits from RD Enterprises, but decided to get a full rebuild kit from Burlens since I wanted to do a complete job. The Burlens kit is expensive, but has enough for 2 carbs. Following is a picture of what came in each kit (RD on the top, 1/2 of Burlens on the bottom)

20181202_100527.jpg and
Stromberg rebuild kits

Couldn't find a reference to o-ring sizes for 2 rings, the ones for the balance bar and the ones that fit on the metering needle retainer to keep damper oil in the piston. See a picture below of each.

20181202_204825.jpg and
Balance bar o-rings

20181123_151407-1.jpg and
O-rings for metering needle retainer
SENC
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:19 pm

SENC wrote:Bent another jet while pressing it into the 2nd carburettor, so on hold while awaiting another. The main section of the new jets appear to be about a half a thou larger than the ones I removed. I polished this one as I did the one I got into the first carb, but perhaps not quite enough. It was within 50 thou of its final position when I bent it. I may also try to find and fit a bit of a nail shank into the pickup end of the jet, just to add some rigidity when pressing it in.

It's not a good idea to push on the end of the jet tube to press the jet into place, there is a special tool which fits over the tube and bears on the main body of the jet to avoid damage.
stromberg-jet-installation-drift.png and

Alternatively you could press or drift the jet in from the top, the drift will still need a small centre drilling or countersink so you don't damage the jet orifice itself and you will need to be careful how you support the body of the carb to avoid damage to the float bowl gasket face...screwing in the brass jet cover and resting on that may be the answer.

Either way preheating the carb body in hot water and chilling the jet in the freezer should ease installation.

Good luck.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Thanks Roger, something like that is better than what I was thinking, and I will throw the next jet in the freezer overnight to gain a little more advantage.
SENC
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: