type of fuel line fitting as want filter?

PostPost by: davidc » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:29 pm

I have this type of crimped end on the braided hose set on the car after the fuel pump.
20160201_193751.jpg and

from tank to pump it still looks like the original black plastic line, this looks in good condition with no obvious signs of leaks.

car still runs mechanical fuel pump.

Ideally I want to add an inline filter but don't want to cut the braided hose set I have.

does filter go before pump on mech or after? I was told recently but have forgotten!

can someone recommend a good quality filter, I've seen these which look ok

http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/lot ... -10mm-ends

if these go before pump it looks fairly straight forward cut plastic line and mount inline with jubilee clips and maybe a rubber ring between pipe and clip?

if they go after how do i get the braided ends off? is there a filter that migh screw to pump outlet and have female output to screw hose connection into?

any other suggestions welcome.
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:41 am

I have a small "Mini" type inline filter just after the tank before the plastic pipe. Works well with the mechanical fuel pump. You just have to make sure that the outlets from the filter are the same diameter as the plastic pipe and then join with appropriate sized petrol resisting rubber pipe.

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:02 am

Not sure it needs it, The fuel pump has a coarse filter inside the bowl and the Webers have a finer filter under the top Brass bolt(just keep them all clean)
weber40dcoe.jpg and

This isn't identical (as it has a Vacuum pump under the fuel pump) but the top section is very similar and the filter is in the same place.
fuelpumpparts.jpg and

Of course back in the day you could buy a separate fuel filter that screwed into the Fuel pump but i'm not sure there would be space on an Elan (might get away with it on a +2)

(this is the first example i could lay my hands on but i see them quite often at shows etc)
http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-fuel- ... -1957.html

1209c7-550.jpg and

The problem i have is not with bits from the tank but with the modern fuel evaporating leaving white deposits inside the Carbs/Fuel pump when the car is not run for a couple of weeks, it's a pain and i seem to be constantly cleaning the jets due to it.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:19 am

I also agree that I don't believe an additional filter is necessary as the existing ones are more than capable of dealing with any particles.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:48 pm

sorry for late reply but thanks for advice, no filter will be fitted. :D
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Particles in fuel are very fine all modern cars have quite sizable filters.

In the elan particles tend to settle out in the pump and the carbs. This having caused me several ongoing problems and a breakdown I now have filters in all of my old cars and carry a spare.

In the elans it is fitted as terryp described.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:34 am

imho the best is as Terry a filter in the boot at Tank outlet. I fit a cleanable glass filter.
So much easier and quicker to clean than trying to get access to mechanical pump or removing filter in the carbs.
This also means there is no build up of sediment in the line between the tank and engine
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:13 am

Hi David,
I have the same filter as per your QED link mounted in the boot/trunk. I fitted this filter at the same time as fitting an outboard motor, squeeze type primer pump. I have actually had to access this filter, during a drive, after picking up a piece of sludgy sealant from the morning's upload of petrol. The sealant completely blocked the filter and stopped the engine. Far easier to access the filter in the boot, than to start pulling filters from the mechanical fuel pump and the inlet filters to the Webers.
Cheers,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:18 am

isn't there an issue with the mechanical pump only being good at pushing from itself so can't have resistance before it in way of filter or am i wrong with that? could have swore i'd been told that by someone?! :?
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:23 am

Hi David,
As per my previous post. I have had this arrangement for the last five years or so, with no problems of fuel starvation.
Cheers,
Colin.

davidc wrote:isn't there an issue with the mechanical pump only being good at pushing from itself so can't have resistance before it in way of filter or am i wrong with that? could have swore i'd been told that by someone?! :?
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:34 pm

me also with my Elan Sprint, filter and Outboard Bulb primer in boot. Mechanical pump no problems.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Another vote for a little clear plastic filter in the boot. Mine is tucked under the carpet and you can't see it in normal usage.
Saved my bacon as when I rebuilt my car I used Hylomar to seal the fuel guage sender - unfortunetey a bit of excess Hylomar got into the fuel and was big enough to block my little filter - glad it didn't get any further!!

Like the idea of the "outboard primer bulb" in the boot. Must look into finding one.
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:53 pm

I use an aluminium bodied fuel filter with a sintered element inside:

http://www.burtonpower.com/alloy-fuel-f ... ilter.html

I fitted it before my mechanical fuel pump.The two halves of the filter body unscrew revealing a nice o-ring seal and the sintered element. This element can be cleaned and re-used indefinitely.

I have no fuel starvation issues with a stromberg engined twinc fitted with CPL2 cams and a lowish compression head.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:37 am

From past experience the original fuel pump will work fine with any sort of pre filter just as long as the line between the tank and the pump is leak free (leaks aren't always obvious as the pump will pull air in rather then fuel out as the Tank-Pump line works under vacuum)

I have to admit i think it's not worth fitting a filter unless you have a bad fuel tank and even then i'd rather fix the underlying issue (if you had a bad tank it would block up a small filter quite quick). I ran my +2 for years every day without an issue and it was only when the car was not being used as i said above the fuel it's self became the issue (i have the same issue on my Race car and that has two 100micron Aeromotive filters).

I suppose it won't do any harm but as i said above the Tank-Pump line is in constant vacuum so for me i'd want as few joints and possible area's of failure as possible (knowing i have a new tank) and of course knowing the system already has three filters plus it will add some thing else for the white deposits to effect..
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:49 am

Just for those who have no idea what i'm talking about, this is the white deposit (i'm told it's a detergent added to the fuel that dissolves then turns back to a fine powder when the fuel it's in evaporates)
zatgsgl.jpg and

It's a Library picture but you get the idea, it's fine if you keep the fuel system wet but if it's stood for any time it becomes a pain. It's the scourge of Petrol lawn mowers every where :)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: