Lotus Elan

Using Leaner Idle Jet Holder on Dellortos

PostPost by: UAB807F » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 am

I have nothing useful to add to this thread other than to thank those who are contributing. I'm debating the 360 cams vs standard sprint ones for the Europa so I'm very interested in how this pans out.

Thanks to all for the info.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:46 pm

The "Three Cs", Compression, Cams & Carbs, must always be kept in balance in order to get the best results. If you just hang larger carbs on an otherwise stock engine, you won't achieve the power level those carbs might be capable of. The same for installing a 'hot' cam. Each one alone isn't as great as it could be if it's companions were optimized to support it.

I have no experience with the Q360 cam, but I like the published specs. It looks like it might be a nice street cam. But there's no direct "carb data chart" that says with this much duration and lift, use this carb set-up. It's something you must tune your way into, and that's best done on a dyno. If someone else has successfully installed a Q360 cam on an otherwise similar engine (like a Twin Cam with the same other mods yours has), then sharing their carb set-up would give others a head-start on tuning their carbs. But even then, don't expect plug-n-play jetting. Carbs aren't that repeatable, and they are sensitive to the specifics of the engine they're on, and sensitive to environmental differences (including altitude above sea level). In the end, you're going to have to do some dedicated tuning.

The cam manufactures don't develop cams in a vacuum. Well, good ones don't. QED provides some jetting specs for their Q360 cam, so they've put some thought into it. I strongly recommend that anyone installing that cam should contact QED and ask for the missing Idle Air Corrector spec, and for any other set-up wisdom that might have to offer.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Esprit2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Tim,

My DHLA 40's have been upgraded to QED 360 recommendations, thus:

Chokes - 33
Main jets - 135
Air correctors - 150
Emulsion tubes - 7772.5
Idle jets - 50

The idle air correctors are 7850.1. I tried 7850.3 simply because I have some but they did not appear to make much difference. I also tried 52 idle jets but this seemed to make matters worse.

My float heights (10g floats) are set to 14.5mm

I will ask QED for recommendations on idle air correctors but of you have any observations on the above I would. as always, be interested to hear them!
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: