PostPost by: alfadave » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:57 am

Looks like I need to go shopping!

Pressure regulator
Colour tune
AFR meter
Endoscope
Fuel pressure gauge
Acrylic rod

Being old fashioned, all I want to do, is bend the tabs to set the fuel level to a height where the car will run for 30 miles, without me having to take the plugs out, and wire brush them!
The carbs have been set up on the rolling road (twice)

I would buy an acrylic rod, but Webcons technical guy said they didn't stock them.
alfadave
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:42 am

Hi Dave. Even though It was me who persuaded you to set the fuel level from the top in the first place, I also had the engine fouling plugs.
I changed the idle jets from 50/F8 to 45/F8 and got some improvement, but still not good enough.
I am now using 45/F9 and am now experiencing the onset of a stumble when lifting off idling. It is only very slight and not noticeable unless you are looking for it so I cannot go any further that way.
Back to Keith Francks advice, he says choose the weakest idle jet until the engine stumbles, go back one and then fit hotter plugs until they don`t foul up.
I am now using NGK BPR5ES and it is no trouble now from one month to the next. Plugs are dark brown and dry.
Also, Keith no longer advocates the acrylic rod method even though it was his idea. He now recommends a simple dipstick.
The other approach to the problem is to buy the jet sets from Keith which he says cure all the problems with Webers. I have insufficient courage to go that way.
Keep going and report back please.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alfadave » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:29 am

Hi Eric,
the guy on the rolling road told me it was set up as lean as he could get it.
He put a set of 5's in, but still didn't fix it.
Its a big valve head/711M block.

However I'll confirm the jet sizes, when I can.

As 2 adjacent plugs were more sooted up, I still feel I've got a fuel level problem
alfadave
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alfadave » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:14 am

PS
Like you Eric, I won't add the jet set to my shopping list, as I've never been a member!
alfadave
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: