26R Type Headlight Buckets

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am

Hi Everyone,

A mate of mine recently sent along this pic and I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can buy the headlight buckets (*not* the plexi covers).

bucket-detai-trimmed.png and

Thanks much.

Best,
Jonny 36 (formerly Jonny Plus2)
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:53 am

S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Having re-examined the pic
bucket-detail.png
bucket-detail.png (69.43 KiB) Viewed 1902 times

I can see now that the flat piece has been crudely molded to the curved piece under the plexi. I am looking for the whole enchilada (the flat piece and the curved piece). I'm thinking that nice ones do exist (i.e. Leno's car) Was that hand made by Leno's guy or does someone make one?

Thanks,
Best,
Jonny
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Jon, I don't think the whole enchilada is available! You have to buy/make the two vertical flat panels (tostada shells?) and then add the curved panels (tacos?) to them. Jay Leno had a full bodyshop to do his bidding...

Kelveden supplied me with a drawing of the vertical panel when I bought the perspex covers--I plan on doing the conversion this Winter.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi David,

Weeeell, I guess I'll have to do the molding myself. The vertical panel is a doddle, I can just buy some 1/8" fiberglass sheet and make up a template using CAD (Cardboard Assisted Design - thanks project Binky) but I'll have to think about the curved bits.

Best,
Jon
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:19 pm

The flat vertical mounting pieces for the 26r headlights are available from Kelsport and TTR. As far as the rest of the bucket, curved or square, apparently this must be fabricated.

I have the vertical fiberglass pieces from TTR. Really not much to them. Just cut from a thin sheet of flat fiberglass.

As TTR told me, closing the pod off with bottom and side pieces is according to personal preference. Many 26r cars just leave it open.

Here is a picture of a "real" 26r that shows the area as open:

img_8185-2.jpg and

Here is a picture of Leno's curved version, apparently fabricated. Looks like the headlight holder and curved portion are an integrated unit. Note it was just left as unpainted metal:

leno26r.jpg and

And, here is another approach, a fiberglass box, as per member "Mister E". As you can see, at least for a dark color, the squared off version looks pretty good.

headlight-fab2.jpg and

img_0766.jpg and

Probably, the Leno curved version is the most ?finished? look. I was thinking of trying to use thin aluminum sheet to achieve this curved type.

So, take your pick, but I don?t think there is a ?plug and play? version that you can purchase.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi 1owner,

Thanks for this. At least I can stop looking. :)

I'm contemplating using a piece of thin alloy sheet as a mold for the curved section of the fiberglass. Bend it into a nice curve, pop rivet it to the body, flip the body over (it's on a Lotisserie(TM) and then glass it up. Should work.

Cheers,
Jon
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:12 pm

I've no idea how mine was done as the car was modified around 1970 and I bought it in '75 but this picture may give you ideas. As far as I can tell no covers were ever fitted but I assume that the relief was to support the same.

head1.jpg and
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Yep, that looks the business all right. Thanks for this pic, it's food for thought.

I think the "filled in under the plexi" style would be better for a road car as it would keep the dirt off the back side of the light cover.
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Jon, I just ordered these headlights-now I have to get the buckets from an old XJ6 apparently.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/261207462566
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Cool David! I expect great progress the next time I'm out there. :)

My #1 son is in charge of my 36's lighting and he says that we're going for LEDs at the moment but not to hold my breath as the technology is changing so fast who knows what will be current in n years when I'm ready to drive it! :D

I'm hoping that we'll be able to buy something that is both really powerful and doesn't look too modern.
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:29 pm

elj221c wrote:I've no idea how mine was done as the car was modified around 1970 and I bought it in '75 but this picture may give you ideas. As far as I can tell no covers were ever fitted but I assume that the relief was to support the same.

yes, this is a neat way of doing it, I'll probably try to replicate that on my next project.

I guess a little provision in 3 or 4 locations would allow for mounting screws - or plastic rivets with an expanding center. Then for a water tight setup one would probably need more to press on a round gasket... but rather than vainly trying to get waterproof I'll probably just drill a hole at the bottom next to the light.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:33 pm

nmauduit wrote:
elj221c wrote:I've no idea how mine was done as the car was modified around 1970 and I bought it in '75 but this picture may give you ideas. As far as I can tell no covers were ever fitted but I assume that the relief was to support the same.

Then for a water tight setup one would probably need more to press on a round gasket... but rather than vainly trying to get waterproof I'll probably just drill a hole at the bottom next to the light.

The problem with a water tight set up is that the covers would steam up. As I remember a problem with the Marcos. I suspect that is why I had no covers. There are four holes drilled on mine but they did get stoppered with leaves and such.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 pm

On one of my other cars, it is set up to take plexiglass headlight covers, though none are installed. When thinking about having some made, the fogging issue was on my mind. I thought about making a small cup to fit on the back of the radiator to capture warm air and with a small fan connected to a couple of tubes routed to the covered areas, should eliminate any fogging. The fan would come on when the lights were switched on. Small holes, for ingress and egress at each light would allow the warm air to circulate through, though the heat from each light may be enough to accomplish the task.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 pm

JonnyPlus2 wrote:Yep, that looks the business all right. Thanks for this pic, it's food for thought.

I think the "filled in under the plexi" style would be better for a road car as it would keep the dirt off the back side of the light cover.

Ah, but then it might not be street legal; the headlights being too low.

That was the whole reason for the pop-ups , was it not?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: