S1 and S2 dash trim question

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon May 11, 2009 11:22 am

I have been meaning to ask this question for a while, I think that over the 10 years on this and the yahoo groops forum, no one has brought up the subject of the gold colored L shaped trim used on the bottom edge of the dashboard of the S1 and S2. This is one dash that I didn't redo as I didn't want to ruin the trim which was in good condition. Does anyone have a source for this edge trim?

dash is nearly ready for install

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Mon May 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Maybe its not Gold but silver /alluminuim coloured and the clear cover has turned a bit yellowish?

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon May 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Emma-Knight wrote:Maybe its not Gold but silver /alluminuim coloured and the clear cover has turned a bit yellowish?

Anna

Could be "silver" foil with clear plastic age yellowing.
I believe the Lotus part number is 26B 0236

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Gary,

Is it my imagination, but is the dash pictured deeper (taller) on the left and right side than the S4 dashes?

It appears the angle of the dash curving out from the center is also different from a S4 dash.

What is the depth of the dash from the top of the speedo to the bottom? And what is the maximum depth of the dash in the center?

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon May 11, 2009 11:37 pm

msd1107 wrote:Gary,

Is it my imagination, but is the dash pictured deeper (taller) on the left and right side than the S4 dashes?

It appears the angle of the dash curving out from the center is also different from a S4 dash.

What is the depth of the dash from the top of the speedo to the bottom? And what is the maximum depth of the dash in the center?

David
1968 36/7988

Hi David

The S2 dash is different as you noticed. I placed a Spare S3 dash (which is the same external dimsions as the S4) on top of a patern I made out of 10 mm Baltic birch plywood of an S2 dash. The picture below show the difference.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks Gary.

Very interesting, the differences. I wonder why?

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue May 12, 2009 12:28 am

msd1107 wrote:Thanks Gary.

Very interesting, the differences. I wonder why?

David
1968 36/7988

Maybe to hide the wires and hoses. You can only get 4 dashes out of a sheet of Baltic birch, sheets are 1.5 x 1.5 meter so the height didn't cost anything more to make. When the Coupe came to be, a more upscale vehicle then the need to clean up around the edges and the ABS trim that came into being. The added length of the ABS trim presented the need to trim some of the plywood height and substitute the ABS trim that now hid all of the wires.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:53 am

Just shows another advantage of the metric system.

4 dashes out of a 1.5mX1.5m sheet. You can only get 3 dashes out of a 4'X4' sheet, or 7 out of a 4'X8' sheet.

I'll bet if Lotus had used English measure plywood, they would have cut 1/2" off the height of the dash!

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:46 am

...early Elan dashes are different from later Elans dashes but isn't that due to seat height? TIC.
Gary, did the Elan that has the golden dash trim belong to a smoker? Have you tried to clean it? I've got an old original spare S1 half dashboard and the trim is nothing more than a sculpted aluminum strip. It looks the same as yours but silver.

And I say GodSpeed at finding a "source."
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue May 12, 2009 10:05 am

1964 S1 wrote:...early Elan dashes are different from later Elans dashes but isn't that due to seat height? TIC.
Gary, did the Elan that has the golden dash trim belong to a smoker? Have you tried to clean it? I've got an old original spare S1 half dashboard and the trim is nothing more than a sculpted aluminum strip. It looks the same as yours but silver.

And I say GodSpeed at finding a "source."
Eric

Hi Eric

I don't know about any smokers in the past. All of the Elan's I have bought were basket cases, I don't think that any of the Lotus cars I have had over the years was ever driven by the previous owner as they were all dream cars. Of the 4 plus S2's this is the best dash and came out of a Elan from Cambridge, Ma. It was street driven for 4 years before the cylinder head gave problems and left it sitting for 27 years, I have had it another 13. Anyone else know of a source?

Gary

p.s. - why do you think the seat heights are different?
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue May 12, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi Gary,

FWIW - I have never noticed any difference in the seats between S1&S2 .

On the S2 to S3 dash change, I would hope it was to add clearance in the foot well, the S2 dash pattern was what I had in the race car, the edge was constantly pressed against my leg ( hard) resulting in bruises and numbness...

One final ask - does any one know a source for the aluminum cup, that recesses the wiper switch/pump ? I need one for the S1 and can seem to locate in the parts stash i have here at the house.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Hello Gary, I'm thinking the later Elans have a taller seat height at the front than the S1 and 2's because of the cushioning. My S1 seats have a height of 6 1/2 inches at the front. But don't listen to me 'cuz an S1 dash is shallower than the S3 and S4 models ! The S2's dash is unique.
Back to the trim question which I also hacked up the other night. I took my spare S1 dash out into the bright sunlight today and it looks "light yellowish golden" instead of silver. I took a little extra fine steel wool to it down on one spotted end and it won't turn silver no matter how much I polish. Brass? Old lacquer? I'm puzzled. Does yours have a plastic coating on it? This one is bare non magnetic metal.
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed May 13, 2009 11:36 am

Some images of the S1 and S2 dash showing the difference. The S1 dash had the mylar type of edging as the S2 did. This all stopped with the Coupe and the introduction of the S2 SE which also has the new ABS trim. As far as seats go, I think thats a new topic. Half of the cars I have came without them (or so rotten they were tossed out), all I know is there were several different kinds.

photo from car and driver road test in 1964

This is of the same S2 dash but the dash is more perpendicular

This S3 dash I got from Ray at RD Enterprises, it had some issues so the garage sale price was $150, It takes me three weeks to do something like this and it still looks somewhat homemade.

The next two of the front and bask of an S1 (maybe a copy?) were taken off the net, maybe ebay possibly here.
S2 SE dash and under dash trim. This is the Elan from Hingham I looked at a couple weeks ago, 26/5447. Yes it had a flat floor...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi There

If that early type edging is a plastic extruded around aluminium foil, then it's of similar construction to the later Plus 2 and Europa windscreen surrounds (which also goes yellow). If you could find the manufacturer/supplier of that, then maybe they could help. It's just a thought

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cbguerrajr » Wed May 13, 2009 1:20 pm

I posted a message with the same question recently, and this was a response:

RE: [LotusElan.net] S2 dashboard edge trim

Carlos,

I used a product from Cowles Product Company in New Haven, Conn. Part
number is 39-522. You can order directly from them. It is listed as
chrome but the lip is actually clear. I painted just the lip with
chrome paint and then clear coated it ( the chrome paint tends to
smudge) It has adhesive tape attached that you just peel off. You
could try painting the lip from the inside to avoid the clear but it
might not cover the entire lip. Its pretty hard to see the paint line
unless you get real close. If you don't care if its chrome you could
paint the whole thing. They might even make one that is already black
but I would guess the lip is still clear

Behalf Of cbguerrajr
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [LotusElan.net] S2 dashboard edge trim

I'm re-installing a refinished dashboard in my 66 S2.
(And what a pleasure it was to get the two top-center mounting screws &
nuts started!)
What do people do about the edge trim along the bottom edge? It looks
like a chromed plastic strip that is nailed to the edge. I don't even
know what sort of places may have something that looks similar.
Any tips? Thanks in advance

Carlos Guerra
cbguerrajr
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: