Backbone questions

PostPost by: wbmoore » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi.....I?ve searched but can?t find an answer to this question.

It seems to me that I?ve read...seen.....been told....that the front towers on S4 frames were at a different angle when measured against a Series 1 or 2. I don?t recall if the angle difference is side to side or fore to aft.

Yes...No ?

The reason I ask is because I have a frame from a S4 Sprint and a S1 body and I?m wondering if they could be happy together.

Thanks.
wbmoore
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:28 pm

The later cars had less castor then the early cars but a degree or two should not make any significant difference to the body even if you had to elongate the body/turret mounting holes slightly.
Attachments
castor.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:01 pm

If before you fit the S4 pre-drilled Chassis and you want to plug the already Drilled and Tapped Holes be careful how you plug them.
When i helped a friend fit a secondhand Chassis to his +2S we plugged the Tapped Holes and welded the Plugs.
We were very happy until we came to Drill the position of the new Holes. It had hardened the Chassis around the Plugs and we burnt out a lot of Twist Drills trying to put the new Tapping Holes. :oops:
If you plug the already Tapped Holes i would suggest you Loctite the Plugs in place.
I wouldn't want to elongate Bobbin Holes, that would look like a bodge.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:28 pm

alan.barker wrote:I wouldn't want to elongate Bobbin Holes, that would look like a bodge.Alan

While it may be a "bodge" it was not frowned on by Lotus and even recommend in some cases, I'm not talking about making a huge slot but just enough to relieve the bolt, even then the washer would cover the elongation so would not be seen anyway.
Attachments
mountings.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:14 pm

I've cut out and re-positioned the bobbins on a few occasions rather than elongating the holes.
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:35 pm

According to the Workshop manual page 20 the 7? castor only applied to cars up to 26/3061, thereafter 3???, so you may not be in that territory.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: