Body reinforcement

PostPost by: robertverhey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:35 am

All of this recent talk about solid vs rotoflex driveshafts has got me to thinking whether occupants are sufficiently protected if something lets go in a big way in the driveshaft area.

Looking at my shell it would be a reasonably straightforward mod while it's all apart to add a folded metal barrier in the rear floor of the body. Wouldn't add a huge amount of weight and might provide some peace of mind. And would be completely invisible under the carpet/underlay apart from some rivets visible from underneath. Just wondering if anyone else has ever thought about this, or even done it as a mod? Is there any actual history of a flailing driveshaft entering the compartment? Or am I worrying unnecessarily?
Attachments
elan.jpg and
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:38 am

I think that you're worrying unnecessarily Robert. The loose end may crack the fibreglass, but I've never heard of one coming through.

Much more likely that the petrol tank will be ripped open, and you'll have to escape a burning inferno.

Better to check the rotoflexes regularly, or fit the solid shafts and then you can't worry at all about that aspect of driving an Elan....but there are other areas to keep you awake at night :shock:

Mark (stopped worrying about Elan consequences a long time ago!!)
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:43 am

Thanks mark, I actually have solid shafts, made from shortened beetle axles. The TIG welding I had done to shorten the shafts looks solid, but hey y'never know......
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 am

Oh, when you break the inboard rotoflex, they will come through...........no real danger though
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 pm

The rollover bar and sill/footwell protection add a lot of reinforcement in that area which would certainly keep your behind safe. Failing driveshafts wasn't something I thought about when having the protection bars installed (I was more concerned about side impact and the front wheel making its way into the cockpit in a front crash), but it definitely makes me feel a lot more comfortable altogether knowing there is something more than thin fibreglass all around me.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: