Bonded in windscreen

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:38 pm

I have a 1973 +2 130/5 and the plastic/ chrome surround for the bonded in screen needs replacing. I seem to have a choice of supplier between Paul Matty & SJ Sportscars. Does anybody know if there is a difference between the windscreen surrounds they supply, and if so which one is considered the best.
Thanks,
Mick.
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DavidLB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:54 am

Hi Mick I have a Matty one fitted to mine. looks good but not perfect on the bottom corners. I got his windscreen fitters to fit. they travelled the 50 odd miles to the car. no one else was interested in the job. can take a close up if you would like to see the finished job David
DavidLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:01 am

be sure to buy the replacement bottom corner parts because the replacement trim is narrower than the original
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:47 pm

DavidLB wrote:Hi Mick I have a Matty one fitted to mine. looks good but not perfect on the bottom corners. I got his windscreen fitters to fit. they travelled the 50 odd miles to the car. no one else was interested in the job. can take a close up if you would like to see the finished job David

Are these glass fitters employed by PM or are they his prefered people? I ask because i have a new glass sitting ready and a new PM chrome trim along with the pu adhesive, what i don't have is the enthusiasm (bottle) to start the fitting! I am thinking maybe i should get a proper fitter to do it but, I would guess the people local to Cambridge may not have used the PM trim before, I understand there is a bit of an "art" to it?
I have fitted a few bonded screens before in my time but the +2 "looks a bit "special"...
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:43 am

David, I for one would love to see a couple pix of the chrome trim and corners and the install. Would be very helpful.

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:08 am

100_4180.JPG and

here's a photo of my +2S130. I don't know if you can zoom in on the trim. I don't have any better photo because i sold my +2S130 and it is now on French Island of Guardelope West Indies
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Thanks, Alan. Nice pic, and it looks like it's a very nice car!

I see the windscreen trim, and it looks very nice. The original Lotus trim had an aluminum film behind clear plastic and sometimes the aluminum film would develop some wrinkles as the trim was bent to form the upper corner curves. Did you find this happening with this PM product?

Thanks, Alan . . .

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:27 am

mine was from sjsportscars including the corner parts. The garagist who painted the car for me fitted the trim.
It was someone who had bonded screens many times in American cars and has worked many times on Renault Alpines 110.
He said it was difficult and took two of them to do it. He used a hot air gun for the top curves heating, pulling and very slowly bending over a curved former. There are no wrinkles at all and a perfect job.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:43 am

Where was that garage Alan, in France or the UK ?

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:51 am

hi Leslie,
i'm afraid the garage is in France near Chartres 28000 Eure et Loir.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Don't be afraid Alan, France is our second home :D
Attachments
DSCF1744.JPG and
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:13 pm

the garage in France paints Renault Alpine which are in fibreglass and he does a fantastic job.
The first Lotus he painted was my +2 and after a +2 for a French friend. Then another +2 for someone in the French Club Lotus. He is very good with the fibreglass and likes his job and classic cars.
He has a Corvette Stingray himself
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:18 pm

I fitted a new bonded screen last year as part of the restoration. It was one of the more challenging jobs! I used the Matty trim which currently looks good but I fear for it's longevity despite it'd high cost. The 'chrome' is beneath a VERY thin surface film.
These are the products I used.
20151110_181113.jpg and
Screen bonding materials.

The method I used was:
Day 1) Trial fit the glass in the recess. Trial fit some small rubber blocks which will support the bottom of the screen whilst the bond sets. Mark or measure the width of border of the glass where the bonding mastic will be. Super glue the rubber blocks in place. Measure and note the varying gap thickness that the bonding mastic will have to fill.
Form the plastic trim around the screen from one bottom corner to the other holding in place with masking tape. The top corners require to be warmed, but beware that a fraction too much heat and the surface/chrome will wrinkle. I found that rubbing the trim with the heel of my hand was the safest way, despite the blisters. Leave the ends long. Fit the bottom length of trim overlapping the ends of the sides. Mark the angle to cut. Trim the four ends to neat mitres. Leave the assembly overnight to help set the shape in the trim.
Day 2) Remove the trim from the screen. Use an acid dauber to coat the edge and a half inch margin of the front and back of the screen with the clear glass primer. This dries very quickly and can then be coated with black primer. Inject a bead of the screen bonding mastic into the trim channel and attach the trim to the screen holding it in place using masking tape. Once the bonding mastic has dried, place the assembly in the body aperture and compress in place with ratceht straps. Leave overnight to encourage correct shape for trim..
Day 3) Mask a neat border around the inside of the screen/trim assembly to match the marks/measurements previously taken. Paint this border with black primer. Paint the body recess with black primer. When the primers are dry extrude bonding mastic around the body recess ensuring that the extrusion will be greater than the previously measured gap. Place the screen/trim assembly in place, resting on the rubber blocks and hold in place with masking tape. Compress with ratcheting type straps.
20140720_144620.jpg and
Bonded screen fitting.
Smooth the mastic along the internal bottom edge of the screen, this is the only mastic visible.
20151110_181638.jpg and
Bonded screen/trim.
Last edited by dougal9887 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:08 am

Dougal, thanks so much for this. First detailed bonded-windscreen install I've seen presented here (or anywhere)!

So helpful. Thanks.

And beautiful car, too. Congrats!

Do you have any insight into whether the SJ Sportscar screen trim would be better?

Thanks again,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 am

Dougal,
I agree with Randy. A great description of the windscreen fitting procedure with invaluable hints. The Dinitrol products are available as a kit on e- bay.
Thanks,
Mick.
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: